Trigger Happy

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I want to add a trigger fish to my reef tank. I have done a little research and while there are no guarantees there do appear to be some species I can keep. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Seems "coral safe" is a better bet than "invert safe" as they <u>all</u> appear to enjoy a little escargot on occasion.:yuk:</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">My primary target is the Sargassum Trigger. To me this is the prettiest of the reef safe models. Also like the Blue Throat Trigger.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Anyone have any first-hand experience with triggerfish in a reef tank?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Are there any other species I could consider?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks!</span></span>

BASSCYN;724003 wrote: <span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">I want to add a trigger fish to my reef tank. I have done a little research and while there are no guarantees there do appear to be some species I can keep. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">Seems "coral safe" is a better bet than "invert safe" as they <u>all</u> appear to enjoy a little escargot on occasion.:yuk:</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">My primary target is the Sargassum Trigger. To me this is the prettiest of the reef safe models. Also like the Blue Throat Trigger.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">Anyone have any first-hand experience with triggerfish in a reef tank?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">Are there any other species I could consider?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">Thanks!</span></span>

Both would surely be fine. Bear in mind, they are active fish and need a lot of swimming room, although they are routinely collected smaller alleviating some of this worry. Any trigger in the genus Xanthichtys would be fine

I've kept blue throats before. Very cool fish!! Never had any problems with mine

I owned both blue throat and sargassum. They are not finger tip safe. I had so many bite marks when I had them

Sargassums are $$$ aren't they? I would love one of those eventually but I don't think my wallet nor my wife would take it.

Tall to nemo , they usually have blue throats in stock. Bill at aviarium has sargassum in alot. Both places on those species respectively.

cr500_af;724060 wrote: Sargassums are $$$ aren't they? I would love one of those eventually but I don't think my wallet nor my wife would take it.

Are they??
I was so busy researching if I could have one, I hadn't looked into whether or not I could afford one.

Off to market!:yes:

I paid 99 from Tim at keen when he was open. I am a bargain hunter tho.

I used to have a sargassum in my reef. He was a gorgeous fish and a model citizen. I will have another. :)

I have a sargassum, been the perfect fish for several years. Mine is very personable as well. Seems to prefer pellets and nori over other foods.

Sounds like a great fish.

Yeah...on-line pricing is pretty high on the Sargassum. $120ish plus shipping. More than I thought.
If I could find one local for south of $100.00...Id "pull the trigger"
It would still be the most I ever paid for a fish.
Get it?:doh:...pull the trigger? I crack myself up.

BASSCYN;724122 wrote: Sounds like a great fish.

Yeah...on-line pricing is pretty high on the Sargassum. $120ish plus shipping. More than I thought.
If I could find one local for south of $100.00...Id "pull the trigger"
It would still be the most I ever paid for a fish.
Get it?:doh:...pull the trigger? I crack myself up.
:lol2:

To those with "reef safe" triggers... do they coexist with stuff like cleaner shrimp? My hunch is no.

I use Scott Michael's "Marine Fishes" as a reference guide, but TONS of fish say "May eat small ornamental shrimps"... I don't know if he means "tiny ones" or "anything short of a Mantis".

cr500_af;724126 wrote: To those with "reef safe" triggers... do they coexist with stuff like cleaner shrimp? My hunch is no.

I use Scott Michael's "Marine Fishes" as a reference guide, but TONS of fish say "May eat small ornamental shrimps"... I don't know if he means "tiny ones" or "anything short of a Mantis".

My guess is this is the gray area of trigger keeping. My plan is to keep him well fed and hope my shrimp can evade him.

I think you have better luck with having the shrimp in the tank first. Shrimp added after the trigger may be perceived as "food". :)

I believe the trick is to keep them well fed with "intended foods" and they will be less likely to eat the unintended variety.

Back