Tropical Storm Warning issued

lmm1967

Reaction score
Good time to check your backup power situation and make sure everything is in good working order.

LOCATIONS AFFECTED - Marietta WIND

LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Tropical Storm force wind - Peak Wind Forecast: 30-40 mph with gusts to 55 mph - Window for Tropical Storm force winds: early Thursday morning until early Thursday morning

Yup. I was watching this yesterday.

Sure enough, this morning my entire area in Dunwoody lost power. And the street at my work at Georgia Tech (midtown) lost power.

Additionally, the winds are high, and several trees have blown over. So drive safely everyone! Keep an open eye for surprise fallen trees, power lines, and transformers laying in the street. And be prepared for blocked roads and accidents.

Here are two screenshots. The first is a zoomed in photo to see all the different power outages happening in my neighborhood simultaneously.

The second is a zoomed out view of Atlanta’s power outages. Each circle counts the number of outages in that area. So a circle with “50+” means that are potentially 50+ downed power lines (or other electrical disconnect) that need to be repaired in that area.

A7DEC1A5-E725-46B2-9183-3552D7BF9F44.png57D0A106-E3DC-4544-8E1D-A3EC579B47A9.png

Power was out for an hour but back up and running when I left for work. Luckily I bought a generator earlier this year so I wasn’t panicking like last year when power was out for over 3 hours.

Yes! My peace of mind also increased substantially after I bought a generator.

Yes! My peace of mind also increased substantially after I bought a generator.
I know!!! I use to get all stressed out when a heavy storm comes rolling in. Now, I don't even worry.

On another note, my goodness, the drive into work was insane! There were a few trees down and I couldn't even see the road cause it was covered in pine straw or leaves.

We’ve been without power since shortly after 5 this morning. No generator here :confused: I know I know I should have bought one years ago. Hopefully it’ll be back soon but about 45% of Cobb county is without power services by Cobb EMC.

I’ve been up since 3:15 when my dog got up to go out and I pulled down our patio umbrella and some Halloween decorations off the front porch.

I used to get by with a $35 DC inverter that hooks to a car(usually they come with battery clamps too)cigarette lighter socket. It can work in a pinch, especially if you have multiple cars and can trade out the batteries. I would just run pumps and a skimmer to keep things oxygenated. Although I have nanos so it may not work for everyone.

finally got a generator yesterday after almost 5 years in the hobby. Well worth the peace of mind now.

My ups died at 50 percent power. Using an inverter.
9E162665-23B3-4ACB-8D7D-83EC94B36388.jpeg

I have to grill eggs outback lol. There’s a line down blocking the road about 1/4 mile away. Hopefully it’ll be up soon. Going on 6 hours.

my power was just restored but i lost a bella goby in one of my QT tanks jumped out when i took the top off to the agitate the water and i just didnt see it

I’m out of battery for both tanks. I hope ours is restored soon. Good news is my fry tanks are still good, one 4w air pump lasts a long time even when on a small backup battery.

Now that I've gone to the darkside and have Ecotech pumps I'm going to diy a battery backup for them with one or two deep cycle marine batteries. If I do two batteries it'll cost me about 1.5 times the cost of one Ecotech backup. But will increase the run time by days not hours.

Even with a generator it's nice to have a battery backup so you don't have to stress to get back home if you're away when the power goes out. I'm going to look at something for the Jebao's too.

Now that I've gone to the darkside and have Ecotech pumps I'm going to diy a battery backup for them with one or two deep cycle marine batteries. If I do two batteries it'll cost me about 1.5 times the cost of one Ecotech backup. But will increase the run time by days not hours.

Even with a generator it's nice to have a battery backup so you don't have to stress to get back home if you're away when the power goes out. I'm going to look at something for the Jebao's too.
Building a small 7Ah one later today most likely. Rest of the parts just arrived. If you have one of their return pumps like a Vectra you can also run that off the battery backup as well. There's a 12 to 36v booster cable for the return pump. The power heads fall back from 24 to 12v automatically but the return needs higher voltage. Nice that you can still run both off the same battery though. Will be glad to have more run time than we get off the current UPS unit.

I pick up a nice generator last hurrican we had a few years ago. I love that thing! I lost power here at about 5am I have it back now.

Totally out of power and the generator we are getting is not installed yet. Probably gonna lose entire system :( as we have multiple trees down and no restoration estimate :(

Totally out of power and the generator we are getting is not installed yet. Probably gonna lose entire system :( as we have multiple trees down and no restoration estimate :(

Oh no! I hope it works out better for you than it seems right now.

Back