Tunze 6045 versys Hydor Koralia 4

cameron

Market
Reaction score
Well I got my 6045s in the tank today. Nice part is they look much nicer than the Hydors... well at least they are smaller. However, the flow is noticeably less than the Koralia. A little disappointed truthfully. For a pump to be nearing 1200gph, it sure doesn't feel like it. Anyone else notice a flow drop discrepency?

You shouldn't have wasted the extra money buying the 6045's.

Here, take a couple days and read through this mod thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1025361">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1025361</a>

I have four 6025's modded in my 120 and I LOVE my flow. Very quick and easy mods and they don't cost anything, assuming you have a dremel tool.

Basically, there are 3 mods:

- Standard
- Wide Flow
- Full Blast

I have only done the standard and wide flow and that is more than enough flow for my mixed tank. If I needed more, I could do the full blast mod. Maybe if I had a 6ft tank, I would consider it, but I just don't need it.

I didn't want to fuss with anything just drop them in. If I wanted to spend the time, I would have jacked in my Dart in a closed loop.

Not sure what you would consider a big fuss. It took me 5 minutes to mod my nano and that's with cleaning up and all. Very simple and easy mod, not to mention, it's free. Not very often we get to buy a product for cheap and then mod it out quickly and easily for free to get a huge performance boost out of it that rivals competition that costs double or more.

But, from what I have read, the spec is overrated for the 6045. More around 1000-1100.

If you don't want to mod, then you're probably better off with the Koralia's. They seem to put out their spec'd flow.

all that flow on the tunze is focused on about 5'' worth of water. I have a tunze, but i would not buy another one over the korlia, despite being shocked half to death by the italian korlia, i still use it with much satisfaction.

The 6045 has a larger pump and you can always throw a larger prop in it and have it crank out more. Worth $30 extra, don't know but again I didn't have to do anything, kept the resell value high and didn't void warranty. After my Hydor experience, I am all about warranty these days. This is a temporary thing for me anyway as I will eventually plumb a dual closed loop with two darts to get the flow I really want. Just didn't want to do it right now.

ouling;41850 wrote: all that flow on the tunze is focused on about 5'' worth of water. I have a tunze, but i would not buy another one over the korlia, despite being shocked half to death by the italian korlia, i still use it with much satisfaction.
I still have a 4 in my system and it easily puts out 20-30% more flow than the 6045. One of these two pumps is under or over rated as they are both supposed to be putting out about the same.

Cameron;41870 wrote: The 6045 has a larger pump and you can always throw a larger prop in it and have it crank out more. Worth $30 extra, don't know but again I didn't have to do anything, kept the resell value high and didn't void warranty. After my Hydor experience, I am all about warranty these days. This is a temporary thing for me anyway as I will eventually plumb a dual closed loop with two darts to get the flow I really want. Just didn't want to do it right now.

The only part of the warranty that is void is the cover which you can replace for $10. I am going to mod the one I have and if it works I am going to purchase another one and mod it also.

Some people have been screwing up some piece that causes it to run in the correct direction. The 6045 has some stainless steel piece that prevents this better than the 6025 but you still have to watch for it when you mod the 6045.

This isn't about getting more flow out of a $65 pump. This is about my huge suprise that a Tunze can't keep up with a Hydor when both have about the same rating.

I know you can mod the 6025 to get performace close to or at the 6045, didn't want to do it. If I wanted to start hacking things around, I would just throw my modded MaxiJets in the tank and be done with it. They are easily doubling the output of any modded 6025.

Does the 6045 have the same mounting clip (pump to inside magnet) design as the 6025's or did Tunze fix that?

My 6045 had a cradle that snapped onto a magnet so not sure if it is the same or not. Not sure what I would fix in the design since it seems to work well at least in my install.

thing with the tunze is not random at at all, unless you throw the current against a wall or another powerhead. Koralia is pretty darn random, and it doesnt push the polyps out the coral with its focused 200gallon per square inch flow rate.

My two 4s were exactly the same pattern wise, but I have heard people say that before. My single lasting 4 rockets flow that you can easily feel about half way across my 6' tank. I can barely feel the Tunze 2' from them. You would think the wider more random flow wouldn't sustain as far, but the Hydor seems to. I have two Tunze's on the right side and one Hydor on the left. The Hydor is blowing as much or more than my two Tunzes in my tank.

Cameron, I'll be interested in your longer term experience with these since I was on the fence about Tunze vs. Hydor. My main factor was that there were many reports on the nano forums of the prongs on the Tunze's that snap onto the magnet popping off and the Tunze's then becoming little bolas bouncing around breaking stuff.

I popped a little silicon on the connectors before I popped them in. Once I get them in the place I like, I will pop a little more between the glass and the magnet.

At this point, I would not buy one of these pumps retail at least. They look nice for what they are, but the Hydors just produce more flow or at least do from my very unscientiffic view. A single Hydor 4 in my tank rocks my stuff just as hard as the three 6045s I have running right now. Supposedly the 6045s can be run on an on/off wavemaker which is a pretty big advantage if I could find one that kicked out more flow.

As for me, I may look into the larger Seios. I would rather have a couple power heads in my tank that are bigger than 4 smaller ones.

Vortech, Vortech, Vortech!!!!

Seriously, I was disappoint with my 6025 even after the mod. I realize your working on trying to get the flow just right and hence the purchase of the 6045. IMHO with your size tank you prob needed to step up to a larger Tunze or gone with the Vortech.

Keep us posted on what you do................

I looked at the Vortech, but $700 (for two) to run my tank is a bit much for me.

How much for those pumps Big D? Shoot me a PM.

Back