Tunze knock-offs!

skriz

Reaction score
check it out:
products.cfm

that tidal wave thing they have is kind of cool as well....does this company have any sort of a reputation?

Jgoal55;111766 wrote: that tidal wave thing they have is kind of cool as well....does this company have any sort of a reputation?

Yes, they are the manufacturers of the Genx line of external pumps.

How much are they? There is no pricing on their website.
Did you buy the controller as well? How much is it?

Very cool... I am holding out for the Polario from Taam.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=7915186">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=7915186</a>

10,000gph plus is impressive and very functional design... if it works and they ever release it. Supposed to Jan 08.

Cameron;111798 wrote: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=7915186">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=7915186</a>[/QUOTE]
Sweet!! :up:

It's the propulsion system from the Red October.

chicagoman_35;111774 wrote: How much are they? There is no pricing on their website.
Did you buy the controller as well? How much is it?

Here ya go....

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/Water-Pumps-Power-Heads/Submersible-Pumps-Powerheads/Submersible-External-Pumps-Over-2450-gph/Model-6800-Xwave-water-pump-Flow-rate-5000-to-12000-lh-1300-to-3100-gph/">Model 6800 Xwave water pump. Flow rate: 5,000 to 12,000 l/h (1300 to 3100 gph)</a>
$259.99

[IMG]http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/Wave-Machines-Sea-Swirls/Xwave-Water-Flow-Machines/Xwave-Wave-Controller/">Xwave Wave Controller</a>
$158.99

Heres pricing on the Polarios for anyone interested........Like you Cameron I am anxious to see what these can do. I mean 220,000 gph with one powerhead? Good Lord that cant be true?

Rio Polario - 3500/15000 gph $279.95
Rio Polario 5500/220000 gph $339.95

46bfinga;111830 wrote: Heres pricing on the Polarios for anyone interested........Like you Cameron I am anxious to see what these can do. I mean 220,000 gph with one powerhead? Good Lord that cant be true?

Rio Polario - 3500/15000 gph $279.95
Rio Polario 5500/220000 gph $339.95

that's 150,000/220,000 LPH!

Even still, I cant imagine thats right. 220,000 LPH = 57,894 GPH. I cant imagine anything that would make that, and be able to fit in an aquarium. Or who would even want that.

jmaneyapanda;111840 wrote: Even still, I cant imagine thats right. 220,000 LPH = 57,894 GPH. I cant imagine anything that would make that, and be able to fit in an aquarium. Or who would even want that.

you're right! I'm pretty sure they added an extra zero, since the gph rating is 5,500 gph.

three models for 5000gph, 10000gph and 15000gph and no I didn't screw up a zero in there. It is TAAM though and they aren't known for their great customer service. The Seio pumps seem to work well enough though.

jmaneyapanda;111840 wrote: Even still, I cant imagine thats right. 220,000 LPH = 57,894 GPH. I cant imagine anything that would make that, and be able to fit in an aquarium. Or who would even want that.

That would be 16gps, it will move your live rock and suck in your fish for some minced meat.... :lol2: ....

the design is kinda like a turbine... the faster it goes the more air it can pull, they start out slow and end up at the top flow rate as there is no directional change in the water flow, the interesting thing about it is it can be either inside or outside the tank... flexibility can always come in handy.... however those crazy suction cups are a little disheartening.

I am wondering where these figures are coming from though. First off, it is very difficult to measure the flow for a "stream" type pumps, for any company really. But as this is bi-direction, and it cannot pump in both directions at the same time, I wonder if the advertising agents for TAAM said "well, it flows at 2500 GPH to the left, and then 2500 GPH to the right. That equals 5000 GPH". That being said, I am so opposed to being caught up in the numbers rather than the performance, so I dont really care.
I think I will feel the same way about these as I do about the LED lighting systems. Let them get some time, real time usage by hobbysits, work out the kinks, and then see what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation polarios do. I have no interest in being a guinea pig. Big snakes eat guinea pigs.

First adopters often bear the brunt of design issues so I can't disagree there, but this thing looks for real even if their numbers are theoretical. It does appear to be a turbine which could use waters own energy to propel it. A water turbine could easily generate these kinds of numbers and more depending on the size and effeciency of the design. Odd that nobody has thought of using one before actually.

I bet tuning it is a big PIA for the designers. Turbines do have a nasty habit of resonating on a multitude of frequencies. They also probably have durability issues. Turbines generally aren't as long lived as prop systems.

Cameron;112073 wrote: First adopters often bear the brunt of design issues so I can't disagree there, but this thing looks for real even if their numbers are theoretical. It does appear to be a turbine which could use waters own energy to propel it. A water turbine could easily generate these kinds of numbers and more depending on the size and effeciency of the design. Odd that nobody has thought of using one before actually.

I bet tuning it is a big PIA for the designers. Turbines do have a nasty habit of resonating on a multitude of frequencies. They also probably have durability issues. Turbines generally aren't as long lived as prop systems.

I think you said a mouthful with "Odd nobody has thought of them before". I am betting they have, but declined. But I am just speculating, and have no evidence whatsoever. These may be the best invention for captive husbandry since the skimmer.

Keep in mind that when they say 220000 gph they are adding both directional flows up together.

Of course at any one time the pump can only push water in one direction, so that total is baloney. Also, the pumps apparently do not push water evenly as there is more flow in one direction than you will get in the reverse direction.

It seems the reason they've been taking so long to come to market is that there is a design flaw in which the magnets become uncoupled at high speeds. I guess they must've worked that out though to start making these things available...

about time someone made something to compete with them. Tunze pumps work well, and they are nice, but comeon....$200+ for a powerhead?!!??

Back