Turn your Apple Device into a WebCam

marquiseo

Market
Reaction score
I recently stumbled upon an app set for Apple devices that allows me to turn any of my devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac, or even iPod) into a webcam to watch over my tank remotely. The app set is free. Essentially, the cost is free because I already had an old iPhone I do not use. More than one Apple device can be used to view from different angles. You will need two apple devices.

The apps are called https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/athome-video-streamer-ip-camera/id590416158?mt=8">Athome Video Streamer</a> and [IMG]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/athome-camera-free-remote/id305567000?mt=8">Athome Camera</a>.

[[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/16225590061_e9da621910_c.jpg alt="" />
16041346589_df8c256696_c.jpg
alt="" />

The Athome Streamer app will be used on the devices that will be your webcams. The Athome Camera app will be used on the device used to view your webcam.

Here is my tank:

16041346509_274b94d012_c.jpg
alt="" />

My phone is plugged in for continuous. I have this as the only app running so low risk of overheating.

The app has features such flash, switch camera (back to front lens), Mute, record, take a pic, and even Walkie Talkie.
Here is the flash feature. I am controlling the flash of my phone I am using as a webcam. Keep in mind I am out of town at the moment and my lights have just turn off according to their schedule.
16040201880_170918a378_c.jpg
alt="" />

The setup was pretty easy. I think this app may also be available for android as well.

I just read the app details. The Athome Camera is on a free trial with no said time duration because of the company's other app release. The original price was $7.99 for that app only. The Athome Video Stream is free. I am using it now remotely and it is an excellent app to me.

Worth it imo. I've always been interested in this when I'm at the fire house. Now my wife facetimes me and says hey. Your tank is making a noise. So she points her iPad or iPhone to where I tell her too then I hang up and fix If from my mobile app.

FF337;1006608 wrote: Worth it imo. I've always been interested in this when I'm at the fire house. Now my wife facetimes me and says hey. Your tank is making a noise. So she points her iPad or iPhone to where I tell her too then I hang up and fix If from my mobile app.
Yep, its pretty handy. I now have to buy a tripod for the phone so I can run it more often. I used two buckets for height and a bottle behind the phone to hold it up.

Love it!
I've been reading up on best webcams comparable with Apex wanting something for next week. I'm having surgery and will be away from home for several days *_*!!! But I can do this tomorrow with old apple sevices I've got and move on!
Thanks a bunch!

Camellia;1006613 wrote: Love it!
I've been reading up on best webcams comparable with Apex wanting something for next week. I'm having surgery and will be away from home for several days *_*!!! But I can do this tomorrow with old apple sevices I've got and move on!
Thanks a bunch!

Yep! You sure can. Good luck with your surgery!

MarquiseO;1006607 wrote: I just read the app details. The Athome Camera is on a free trial with no said time duration because of the company's other app release. The original price was $7.99 for that app only. The Athome Video Stream is free. I am using it now remotely and it is an excellent app to me.

Thanks Marquise! I was wondering what to do with my generation 1 IPAD that I don't use anymore. Great find.

Yeah, my wife's iPhone 5 is about to become my webcam. Hoping to upgrade hers to a 6 today!

I tried this last night with my ipad and iphone and it worked pretty good. Do you have to leave the app on the video device up and running 24/7? Couldn't figure out if you could lock the device and still be able to access it remotely. It wouldn't work when I tried it, said device was offline.

Do you know if it's possible to use my iPhone 6 as the device I view the video on and an android device as the, for lack of better description, "spycam"? Ie, my android stays home and my iPhone travels with me.

Nick that's my question as well. All I have is a six plus and iPad air. Don't know if I want to leave the iPad on at all times like that.

Nickh06;1006914 wrote: I tried this last night with my ipad and iphone and it worked pretty good. Do you have to leave the app on the video device up and running 24/7? Couldn't figure out if you could lock the device and still be able to access it remotely. It wouldn't work when I tried it, said device was offline.

Yes the app has to be open to access the video feed.

Nickh06;1006914 wrote: I tried this last night with my ipad and iphone and it worked pretty good. Do you have to leave the app on the video device up and running 24/7? Couldn't figure out if you could lock the device and still be able to access it remotely. It wouldn't work when I tried it, said device was offline.

Yes. I left it running as the only app. The app has a button that says turn off display. I am pretty sure it just blackens the display. The app ran since Wednesday and I just made it home to feel the phone and the phone was still cool to the touch so low CPU usage.

skyking;1007084 wrote: Do you know if it's possible to use my iPhone 6 as the device I view the video on and an android device as the, for lack of better description, "spycam"? Ie, my android stays home and my iPhone travels with me.
I not 100%. I know you can input the Video feed code for the stream. All I can say is try it and see.

Jrwhite07;1007524 wrote: Nick that's my question as well. All I have is a six plus and iPad air. Don't know if I want to leave the iPad on at all times like that.
It's very low usage. I left my phone plugged in the whole time. I don't see anything wrong. I am however using an old iphone 5s. This may not be the best option for some who do not have old apple/android products not being used. Even so, if you chose to leave your ipad running while you are at work, it will work so long as no one at home bothers it.

Overall, I like the app. It was a low cost way for me to view my tank while I am out instead of buying a webcam. I had a phone already at home that was collecting dust so it gave it a purpose. I am 100% satisfied.

MarquiseO;1007546 wrote: Overall, I like the app. It was a low cost way for me to view my tank while I am out instead of buying a webcam. I had a phone already at home that was collecting dust so it gave it a purpose. I am 100% satisfied.

Yeah I like it for sure. Pretty easy but would be better if you could access from locked device. Maybe they will update it eventually.

Nickh06;1007551 wrote: Yeah I like it for sure. Pretty easy but would be better if you could access from locked device. Maybe they will update it eventually.

I think that is a phone side issue. You have to make sure the app is able to background refresh ( Settings&gt;General&gt;Background App Refresh). The Second option is to turn down the screen brightness and set auto-lock to never; the screen will remain open. The app has an option to darken display which will blacken the screen.

Back