Two spot bristletooth tang question (juvenile)

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
We recently added this tang to our 125g tank. Our other tang is a small juvenile sailfin. Ever since we got it and the two tangs battled it out for top rank everything settled down. I’m certain the sailfin won that fight. But now the bristletooth is really picking on my lawnmower blenny and my fire fish barely comes out because it is scared of this tiny bristletooth too.
Anyone have any similar experiences? I have a low tolerance for bullying fish. My hippo tang has already been evicted due to aggression.
Thanks!

Tape a mirror to the tank. Worked for me well.
Didn’t work at all with the hippo tang, nor did a month in the QT tank while rockscape was changed so she had to go. Will it work with a baby tang? It doesn’t seem very aggressive otherwise. Not sure why it chases the Blenny of all things?

My Kole still chases the Lawnmower blenny from time to time. He leaves the other "competing" fish alone for the most part, but I still hear splash fights from time to time. It happens.

I just love my blenny and I don’t want him stressed out because that stresses ME out and ruins the entire “zen” of the tank!

I just love my blenny and I don’t want him stressed out because that stresses ME out and ruins the entire “zen” of the tank!
Heh - your tang caused a lot of stir in my tank - things have just now started calming down :p

Tangs are territorial. Tangs are jerks. That's just the reality. For whatever reason I've managed to get a few (that I thought were) not-so-jerky-tangs, but I saw their jerk sides come out this week. So yeah - all of them are jerks.

My yellow eye Kole tang has been a model citizen for years until I added a tomini. They both nearly killed each other but now peaceful as ever. The Kole now bullies my lawnmower too!

Yeah, I haven’t seen the mirror trick fail before, but that is the nature of working with living organisms. Each one has its own personal identity.

Whenever I get a tang next (Hopefully soon), I’ll take repeated videos of initial tang aggression, mirror introduction, and behavior during mirror-time and after the mirrors are removed. I’ll cut it down to a couple minute video, and post it. Mirrors oftentimes work very well.

Heh - your tang caused a lot of stir in my tank - things have just now started calming down :p

Tangs are territorial. Tangs are jerks. That's just the reality. For whatever reason I've managed to get a few (that I thought were) not-so-jerky-tangs, but I saw their jerk sides come out this week. So yeah - all of them are jerks.
I warned you she was a jerk! Glad it’s all settled now!!

My yellow eye Kole tang has been a model citizen for years until I added a tomini. They both nearly killed each other but now peaceful as ever. The Kole now bullies my lawnmower too!
Funny thing is all the reading I did about them before purchase was that they were aggressive with other tangs but peaceful with non tang tankmates! Doesn’t matter how much research I do. Hopefully it’ll settle down but my blenny is fast and can get into holes the tang can’t fit into lol.

Back