Two tanks one water system

jigsaw1982

Market
Reaction score
Hi I have a thriving 26 gallon saltwater tank. I have live rock, a horseshoe crab, a sea urchin, a decorator crab, a clownfish, and 2 snails. I have been surprised at how well my tank has actually done(since its my 1st saltwater tank). I have had this tank established for about 6 months now and I recently received a bigger tank and stand that I believe is about a 29-30 gallon. I would like to connect these two tanks together so they are a single water system. I would also like to have a tube so the fish can swim back and forth between the two tanks. My main concern is not the tube issue but how to get the water that’s in my current tank into the new empty tank while adding enough water to fill up the new tank and keeping the two tanks equal as far as ph, ammonia, specific gravity, Nitrate NO2, and Nitrate NO3.Does any one have any suggestions/recommendations. I am wanting to turn this into a project and post pictures in the forum every step of the way since everyone loves pictures.

First off, Welcome to ARC!

IMHO, I'd probably use one of the tanks as a sump first, then add the second one once you have your filtration set up (and hidden)... however if those aren't an issue for you...

I'd look into the same transfer methods used for sumps and perform 10-20% water changes over time (normal water changes) to reduce shock to your existing tank.just watch your test results closely.

Once the new tank is filled with water from the existing tank and the tube is in place, keep the inlet in the old tank, and the outlet in the new. This would also maintain circulation using the tube connecting the tanks and create a nice flow.
If plumbed correctly, you could also use the same pump to maintain the air siphon you'll need in the tubes connecting the tanks. Having that in place would also make it a simpler process later to add a sump if you go that route.

I haven't tried this myself, but did plan it out on occasion... (then decided to go with adding a sump first) Others here may have some more ideas as well (or corrections to mine), or have done this themselves.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Inzzane;649050 wrote: First off, Welcome to ARC!

IMHO, I'd probably use one of the tanks as a sump first, then add the second one once you have your filtration set up (and hidden)... however if those aren't an issue for you...

I'd look into the same transfer methods used for sumps and perform 10-20% water changes over time (normal water changes) to reduce shock to your existing tank.just watch your test results closely.

Once the new tank is filled with water from the existing tank and the tube is in place, keep the inlet in the old tank, and the outlet in the new. This would also maintain circulation using the tube connecting the tanks and create a nice flow.
If plumbed correctly, you could also use the same pump to maintain the air siphon you'll need in the tubes connecting the tanks. Having that in place would also make it a simpler process later to add a sump if you go that route.

I haven't tried this myself, but did plan it out on occasion... (then decided to go with adding a sump first) Others here may have some more ideas as well (or corrections to mine), or have done this themselves.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

I don't that much about the transfer methods for sumps. Can you explain that please? What if I just got live sand(enough for my new 30 gallon tank....like 30 lbs.[1pound of live sand per gallon of water right?]), got a CPR overflow to hang on my current tank and any overflow I get would be directed to the new empty tank??? I'm thinking something like that because I don't wanna drill a hole in my current tank since its already established. ideas? ? ? ? ?

You can just use the water that you would normally remove from the first tank during a water change, to add to the second tank. You can add new water back into the first, or add the new water to the new tank and circulate it from tank to tank if your system is set up already. Just remember, you'll need to ensure the water is either cycled with the first, or have new water added to it as well. The best bet is to keep it cycling with the first tank. So really, your not removing any water from the system, just adding/diluting water.

There shouldn't be any need to drill. Both the initial transfer and overflow method will depend on your circulation system, and final placement of the tanks.
Are the tanks going to be set with the same water level? Meaning both tanks water at or near the same height? Or are you planning one tank above the other?

A CPR overflow direct to the second tank, I believe, would work if you have a good height distance between the water levels, but then that may present some problems with the connecting tubes. Primarily because the overflow is gravity fed, the water must go down then be pumped back up. If you want them near the same height as each other, you will likely need a sump (Even if just a small one) to hold the water fed down from an overflow to be returned to the second tank.
If you can fit a small tank below your existing tank to use as a sump (even 10-20 gallon would work) , the whole setup would be the same as a normal sump setup. It would also provide a place to dose supplements and keep filtration/heaters/UV/etc out of sight and would be very easy to add the second tank.
BasicSump.jpg
>http://theaquariumwiki.com/images/8/8f/BasicSump.jpg</a>

If the water levels were the same height, and the tubing was connected, the only difference would be that the return would go to the second tank.

Inzzane;649089 wrote: You can just use the water that you would normally remove from the first tank during a water change, to add to the second tank. You can add new water back into the first, or add the new water to the new tank and circulate it from tank to tank if your system is set up already. Just remember, you'll need to ensure the water is either cycled with the first, or have new water added to it as well. The best bet is to keep it cycling with the first tank. So really, your not removing any water from the system, just adding/diluting water.

There shouldn't be any need to drill. Both the initial transfer and overflow method will depend on your circulation system, and final placement of the tanks.
Are the tanks going to be set with the same water level? Meaning both tanks water at or near the same height? Or are you planning one tank above the other?

A CPR overflow direct to the second tank, I believe, would work if you have a good height distance between the water levels, but then that may present some problems with the connecting tubes. Primarily because the overflow is gravity fed, the water must go down then be pumped back up. If you want them near the same height as each other, you will likely need a sump (Even if just a small one) to hold the water fed down from an overflow to be returned to the second tank.
If you can fit a small tank below your existing tank to use as a sump (even 10-20 gallon would work) , the whole setup would be the same as a normal sump setup. It would also provide a place to dose supplements and keep filtration/heaters/UV/etc out of sight and would be very easy to add the second tank.
BasicSump.jpg
>http://theaquariumwiki.com/images/8/8f/BasicSump.jpg</a>

If the water levels were the same height, and the tubing was connected, the only difference would be that the return would go to the second tank.

Yeah I will probably use a sump pump that I can regulate its power

Edit:
Jigsaw1982;649107 wrote: Yeah I will probably use a sump pump that I can regulate its power

, your suggestions seem like the best I've heard from other reply's...thx

make sure your sump is large enough to hold extra water when the power goes out...
just a thought.

b

Back