uh-oh. wife is complaining

Rainblood

Supporting
Reaction score
that the fish tanks are aggravating her allergies/sinuses.
i just ordered a dehumidifier and am looking into an air purifier.

are you guys doing anything special in your house? any complaints are allergies? solutions?
suggestions? obviously besides getting a divorce

that the fish tanks are aggravating her allergies/sinuses.
i just ordered a dehumidifier and am looking into an air purifier.

are you guys doing anything special in your house? any complaints are allergies? solutions?
suggestions? obviously besides getting a divorce
Is she serious or is she joking to just mess with you? Else, I would assume an air purifier is a good first step.

@tdam too funny but very true tho lol

This time of year I find the extra humidity is good. When we turn the heat up it really dries the air.
The air purifier is a good idea with or without our tanks.

The more square footage of surface area you have the more evaporation you will have.
Have you checked to see what the humidity is at in your house?

Lol I’m pretty sure that the humidity isn’t aggravating her sinuses/allergies. Rather, it’s other particles in the air that are doing so (unless she is allergic to water).

While acknowledging that increased humidity will affect how she experiences symptoms, it is important to understand the distinction in order to properly address the root of the problem. Your proposed solution of a quality air purifier should solve your problem! Meanwhile, the dehumidifier shows that you understand and take her experiences and opinion seriously. Good work on your part!

I have an air purifier at home, not because we need it, but because I was already intimately familiar with the product, and had an opportunity to grab a NIB one for an unbelievable discount by a manager that was leaving the company. Mine actually increases humidity, but is nonetheless certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation... regardless of certifications, it works noticeably well. But look around, find an air purifier that works well for y’all.

And absolutely! Like Adam, I love the extra humidity. You can buy a $10 temp and humidity gauge on Amazon. I have bought a couple of these for home and work.

oh man. you guys are going to get me in so much trouble, lol
i know the lowboy evaps a stupid amount - almost a gallon a day. and the nuvo40 does about 3 cups. but now think i think about it, i don't think humidity is an issue....but i have a humidifier coming. can't wait to hear it humming all day.

any recommendations on air purifiers?

Humidity in general contributes to a reduction of sinus/cold/allergy effects... to a point. High levels of humidity could result in mold/mildew production, which will definitely aggravate sinuses.

I recently used these guys for a mold test (via Amazon). They were affordable, polite, and quick. Of course, no way to know for sure how accurate : ) http://moldinspectionnetwork.com/
Do a mold test and that could reassure her (or give you something to fix!)

I don't think an air purifier is your solution if the issue stems from the aquarium(s). Your best bet is to eliminate the problem (mold spores due to excessive dampness). As stated elsewhere, your furnace is going to do the job when it's cold. Your AC removes a tremendous amount of moisture in the summer. I would supplement with a dehumidifier. I bought a large one that connects to the furnace, but a portable unit will work if you have access to a drain/outside.

If you really want a top-end purifier, it doesn't get much better than IQAir

Back