Understanding a Dual Stage RO/DI

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
Like many, I'm not happy with the waste water to pure water ratio that I get from my RO/DI unit. I've read many of you say to run the waste water through again but through what? Does it only go through another RO chamber or does it go through a DI chamber or both?

porpoiseaquatics;1033544 wrote: Like many, I'm not happy with the waste water to pure water ratio that I get from my RO/DI unit. I've read many of you say to run the waste water through again but through what? Does it only go through another RO chamber or does it go through a DI chamber or both?

If you are going over 100 gpd, sometimes a booster pump is used.

I will give you an example on how you could do it simply, but keep in mind... you will burn through filters quicker.

5 gallon bucket with a pump to your RO unit. waste water returns to 5 gallon bucket. You would have to fill in a manner that recycles the water 2x per overflow of the influx of new water.

hope that makes sense.

tbh... just use the waste water to water a dead spot in the grass or your garden. This is almost not worth the time unless you live in california.

BRS sells a water saver upgrade. I believe the water flows though the prefilters into RO membrane #1. Then the waste water from membrane #1 flows to the inlet for membrane #2. Waste water from membrane #2 goes to the drain. Both filtered water lines come together and go into your DI resin.

Jeff, just add another membrane with the 75gpd upgrade kit (somewhere in the neighborhood of
$60). It's the easiest way to double or triple your RO output.

RO stages ->>> membrane 1 >>>>>DI (good water) membrane 2 (membrane 1 waste) >>> DI

Keep an eye on that second membrane though.... ive personally had them foul rather quickly for some reason according to my inline tds meter doing it that way.

Haven't tried it myself... But have you thought of using a permeate pump?

a>

Just combine the good water from both membrane to a Y fitting then out to the DI canisters. The waste water from the first membrane runs into the 2nd membrane then out to the yard if drain.

Bcavalli;1033599 wrote: Just combine the good water from both membrane to a Y fitting then out to the DI canisters. The waste water from the first membrane runs into the 2nd membrane then out to the yard if drain.

I think that's what I was looking for!

Bcavalli;1033599 wrote: Just combine the good water from both membrane to a Y fitting then out to the DI canisters. The waste water from the first membrane runs into the 2nd membrane then out to the yard if drain.

Jeff, Just what Brett said! He hooked up my 75 GPD kit, making my system produce 150 GPD. Filling a 40 gallon Brute container with RO, now I get about 1 gallon of waste water. :yay::up::wow2::thumbs:

Urbanknight;1033650 wrote: Jeff, Just what Brett said! He hooked up my 75 GPD kit, making my system produce 150 GPD. Filling a 40 gallon Brute container with RO, now I get about 1 gallon of waste water. :yay::up::wow2::thumbs:

1 gallon waste with 40 gallons ro?

tds meter approves?

It's about 3 or 4 parts good water to 1 part waste water with 0 TDS. I haven't bothered to measure the exact output ratios. However, it's completely opposite to what I was running before installing my upgrade kit over a year ago.

Russ-IV;1033777 wrote: 1 gallon waste with 40 gallons ro?

tds meter approves?

Russ, I didn't believe it when I brought it home. Brett's TDS read "0" So did mine. I'm so anal, I went and bought a hand held TDS Meter. It reads "0" too.

Urbanknight;1033797 wrote: Russ, I didn't believe it when I brought it home. Brett's TDS read "0" So did mine. I'm so anal, I went and bought a hand held TDS Meter. It reads "0" too.

pretty gd awesome if i do say so myself.

Keep us posted on the life of that second membrane if you dont mind. On the surface though... much better results than i, when i tried it in 2013. My membrane literally melted by the 90 day mark.

i thought i put too much trash and gunk through it for it to handle.

Russ-IV;1033799 wrote: pretty gd awesome if i do say so myself.

Keep us posted on the life of that second membrane if you dont mind. On the surface though... much better results than i, when i tried it in 2013. My membrane literally melted by the 90 day mark.

i thought i put too much trash and gunk through it for it to handle.

Wow! That's good to know. I'll keep a close eye on it an report back.

Ok so y'all are telling me that you guys are getting 3-4 gallons do rodi for every gallon on waste water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porpoiseaquatics;1033785 wrote: Brett...I may get you to come over and show me.

+1

Brett needs to move NW :)

Any idea why my waste has increased 2 x's from changing out new filters & membrane?
Spectapure before and new! I plan on calling them but haven't.

Back