Unexplained fish death

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
Just when you think everything's going well. I have a blue throat triggerfish that I've had for about 2 months. There are no signs of stress or sickness in my tank. I did a water change Monday night and checked my parameters, everything was fine. Tuesday afternoon I noticed my trigger wouldn't eat and stayed under his hiding spot. He came out to grab a quick bite at dinner time but then quickly retreated to his hiding spot. I just came home about 20 minutes ago and he was dead. No damage to his body, no spots, no nothing. I realize I probably will have no idea what happened unless other fish start dying but I'm curious if anybody else has experienced something similar

So, my wife says she saw him harassing my fox face on a couple different occasions and the fox face would flare up at him. I wonder if he got stung

Sorry to hear you lost a fish.

It could also be a combination of the two things mentioned. If it had something going on parasitically inside, it's immune system could have been able to keep it in check, then after getting stung it succumbed. Even if you cut it open it may be hard to tell what exactly it might have been.

Was it QTed prior to being placed in the tank. I think a lot of times with a newish fish especially coming from a store it’ll be related to an internal parasite.

I observed in qt for awhile. Might start treating for parasites next time

Back