Update on 125 long consideration.

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Well, I went to my leasing office today and asked if I could have a water bed in my apt. This was an attempt someone suggested to me to see if they were comfortable with the weight/water issues in the building. They said no, and it was actually in the lease. I don't remember that part, but I'm gonna pull it out and look it over. I really doubt the lease prohibits tanks, but I will look to be sure.

That leaves the other consideration (assuming it was not prohibited by the lease) and that is weight. I wonder if the ~1000 ish lbs of tank would be a dangerous thing in my apt? If I remember correctly it was built in 1986, and is mostly timber/frame construction. I did however pull up the carpet in the corner of the room a bit to verify that the floor is concrete, which it is.

So... is the weight an issue you think? It will be on the wall with is directly adjacent from the neighboring apartment, in the center of the complex, so I'd assume this is a load bearing wall. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I would almost guarantee it would be fine. Think of three fat dudes (like myself) sitting on a couch (hypothetically watching TV and doing nothing:blush: ). I doubt the floor would give (although the couch might). And this would be over 1000 LBS probably.

Yeah, same place. We have been considering some remodeling, and my GF actually suggested ditching the solanafoa big tank. She even picked out the 125, even though I have about decided that if we go bigger, it will be a 120-140 (24" deep). We are thinking about converting the diing room into an aquarium room, and replace the table with a bar type deal. She is actually completely on board with this so I have really been considering it. I'm pulling out my lease here ina bit to re read it.

I would throw it out there about a fish tank.. Most people hear fish tank, they don't think about large ones.. At most they would prob. Think you were talking about a 55 at most..

I found a good deal on a 120, so I may go that way. Look out for my build thread...

i had a 90 gall tank in a third floor apartment when i lived in new york.. it did fine, but the building was older and not made of timber.. i think your gonna be fine also.. A first floor apartment was the major thing i was looking for when i went to sign a lease at my new apartment in tennessee,,

place the tank in one of the corners to help less burden the load..

Definitely make sure your renter's insurance (you do have renter's insurance, right?) would cover the damage from the tank breaking. They likely will not cover the tank or contents, but make sure on the resulting damage.

See if you can find out from the building engineer which way the floor joists run so you can try to set up the tank perpendicular to that. Typically they run the shortest distance across the building because that's cheapest.

Also, before you buy anything, something to consider along with the floor holding is the floor flexing. If the joists are cheap, they may flex significantly. That isn't a problem for the tank, but if the tank wobbles when people walk by or you have a party and lots of people are walking around, you could have some nasty swaying of your tank which could at least cause water sloshes.

Then again, it could also be a cheap wavemaker ...

Back