upgrading powerheads

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have two suction cup ones that will not stay mounted, and I was going to upgrade to a korilla, but what gph should I be looking for. I have a lot of waterflow over all if I account for my 2 emperors, but for lateral movement, would getting two korilla 1s do the trick or should I do 2s? I know I cannot have too much flow I guess, but I've not seen these in action before so...yea, any suggestions, thanks.
(could I do 2 nanos?)

I have a 55g and I currently have 2 Koralia's one is a 3, and another is a 1, and I have great water flow.

The emperors are not going to provide "flow". Disregard them...and get better filtration.

I cannot think of anyway to upgrade my filtration. I know they're not great for a mini-reef. I converted one into a small refugium but I have nowhere to keep a sump and that kinda hurts my options. I'd get a new stand, but what I have more or less is working, so if it aint broke, dont spend a few hundred trying to mess it up.

They move 400gph each so they move water. No not in the way a nice powerhead would, but I was providing info that someone might need to know if they wanted to actually help.

I'm just gonna go with the 1s as they use almost 1/3 the power.

In a 55, you really need a lot more than koralia 1's. I was running one Koralia 3 and two koralia 2's. My sand cleared up from a little bit brown to pure sand colored and my corals loved it once they got used to it/got moved into the right place. And when you're talking Koralias and power consumption, sure, maybe the 1 is 1/3 the power, but they don't use that much so even the 3 isn't that much power by normal powerhead standards.

If the cup sticking is your only issue I would recommend going the cheaper route and work on the cup.

There's a trick with making suction cups stick... Put a lil dab of silicone inside the cup and then press it against the glass. It works like a charm.

g'luck.

Why get a 4 if you're just going to cut down on the flow? Just get a 3 instead...

thanks guys for the tips. One of my PHs is a cheap aquagardens with almost no movement, so I will get a 3 to replace it and I'll silicone the other.

ares, I would, but I also want to keep the reef when I do setup the 135. I may order some anyway since they're on sale for so cheap at drs F&S right now.

I see what you meant, I was confused, didn't realize you were suggesting saving money on the powerhead and using it in the larger tank later. I just couldn't imagine why you would do that to a powerhead. Now I get it!

Back