Used Tank - Initial Cleaning...

scrilla

Market
Reaction score
Hello All... :dance:

Got My Hands On A Used Saltwater Tank And Its All Full Of Gunk... Looking Really Icky Are The Insides Of The Tank... :boo:

Any Tips Or Suggestions On What To Do To Get This Tank Close To Looking New Again?

I Currently Have It Sitting In The Garage Full Of Water To Test For Leaks. Could Anything Be Added To Make The Cleaning Any Easier? Looks Its A Bunch Of Green Algae Covering The Entire Back Wall... :sick:

Caps lock

Funny,

even when I am on caps it comes out correct - Raj, you're seeing something I can't?

The clear one, I use the cheapest available and start with a 1/3 ratio - and will add more vinegar if needed.
But if it is glass - the razorblade will be quicker and the rest will come off with the 1/3 third stuff like nothing.

Non scented laundry bleach is what I use - just rinse, rinse rinse and then RINSE RINSE RINSE....

And please don't clean it anywhere inside...

LilRobb;334390 wrote: The clear one, I use the cheapest available and start with a 1/3 ratio - and will add more vinegar if needed.
But if it is glass - the razorblade will be quicker and the rest will come off with the 1/3 third stuff like nothing.

Non scented laundry bleach is what I use - just rinse, rinse rinse and then RINSE RINSE RINSE....

And please don't clean it anywhere inside...

Dont Think I Have Any Vinegar In The House... But Plenty Of Bleach. Should I Just Pour A Gallon Into The Tank(Which I Believe Is A 55, Ill Take Measurements In A Minute) While Its Full Of Water And Let It Sit Over Night?

Also, Any Tips On Removing The White Stuff(Coraline?) Off The Tank Lid?

Vinegar will take care of any WHITE stuff in the tank.
I would start with vinegar and move on to bleach as the last step in the process, but some will tell you different.

LilRobb;334395 wrote: Vinegar will take care of any WHITE stuff in the tank.
I would start with vinegar and move on to bleach as the last step in the process, but some will tell you different.

Whats The Difference? Is Bleach Too Strong?

Vinegar just lowers pH and is'nt a real danger to fish. Bleach is harmful to anything living... And it also requires much more rinsing than the vinegar does.

Steve;334408 wrote: Vinegar just lowers pH and is'nt a real danger to fish. Bleach is harmful to anything living... And it also requires much more rinsing than the vinegar does.

I Was Going To Pour A Gallon Of Bleach Into The Water Already Sitting In The Tank, DO NOT DO THIS Correct?

ares;334414 wrote: bleach is just chlorine, which will kill anything... and sanitize, but thats about it. vinegar is an acid and dissolves the calcium that makes up the coraline algea and other hard mineral deposits. it is a chemical process that cleans it.

you can literally let the vinegar soak in the tank and it will just dissolve right away. bleach wont. if the tank is dry and dead, the bleach might be unnescessary. vinegar dissolves hard minerals and manual removal with a razor blade for glass or a Credit card for acrylic.

make sure you rinse the hell out of the tank.

Good Stuff... I Guess Ill Just Wait Till Tomorrow To Scoop Up Some Vinegar. Ill Let The Tank Soak Overnight...

It's a 55. Do the vinegar soak for 12-16 hours and then see how eveything comes off. If it doesnt work. then use bleach. Bleach will handle anything.

ares;334430 wrote: standard 75g dimensions I believe.

vinegar will be the best, but if its glass... the razor blade will be fine too.

basicly you have 2 things in the tank, calcium based algea, and organic algea. vinegar will soften/dissolve the calcium stuff, but wont do jack against green/brown squishy stuff. so for that you'll need to do manual removal with a razor blade. trick is, the razor blade will remove the calcium based stuff like butter too... so you could just do the razor blade thing

I Guess Ill Stay Away From The Bleach And Just Wait Till Tomorrow To Get Some Vinegar... Then Razor Blade Away... :mad2:

Back