Used Tank - Initial Cleaning...

ares;334440 wrote: you'll see, it comes off very easy. take maybe 20minutes. comes right off.

Thanks For The Help Homie... Ill Let You Guys Know How Things Come Out... Dont Know If Ill Keep I, I Just Might Trade For A Smaller Already Running Tank... :yes:

It's a 75, I have one and it's a great size. I'm going 90 soon just so I'll have room for a few more fish and coral.

Did you get a stand with it? If not I'll have one you can get for cheap!

au01st;334459 wrote: It's a 75, I have one and it's a great size. I'm going 90 soon just so I'll have room for a few more fish and coral.

Did you get a stand with it? If not I'll have one you can get for cheap!

Yea, Got The Stand As Well... :yes:

Scrilla;334356 wrote: Its A Bunch Of Green Algae Covering The Entire Back Wall... :sick:

Because of this, I'd suggest using the bleach. There's a chance the vinegar will not kill the algae so if even a little bit is left in the tank, you could have some issues while the tank is cycling. The vinegar will definitely help if you have any coraline algae.

mufret;334627 wrote: Because of this, I'd suggest using the bleach. There's a chance the vinegar will not kill the algae so if even a little bit is left in the tank, you could have some issues while the tank is cycling. The vinegar will definitely help if you have any coraline algae.

Well, I Came Home This Evening And Purchased 2 Gallons Of The White Vinegar And Poured It Into The Tank With The Water That I Was Using To Test For Leaks... Luckily There Are No Leaks... I Went Ahead And Put The Cover/Lid In Their Too To Soak Overnight To Get The Gunk Out As Well...

Ill Save The Second Gallon For ROund 2 If Needed...

Came Home Today And Got To Work... :yes:

Knowing It Was Gonna Be Tough, I Whipped Out The Good Ol Pressure Washer To Help With The Daunting Task And Let Me Say It Made Things A Whole Lot Easier....

What Do You Guys Think?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
335472=16566-IMG_0919.jpg
>
335472=16566-IMG_0919.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0919.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
335472=16565-IMG_0921.jpg
>
335472=16565-IMG_0921.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0921.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Sorry I Didnt Take Any Before Pics But Trust Me When I Say This Thing Was Absolutely Disgusting.

So Bad That I Didnt Even Want To Stick Around Long Enough To Snap A Before Picture...

Only Thing Now Is A Slight White-ish Film/Residue In A Few Spots In The Glass That Became Visible After Everything Dried Off... I Think One More Light Pass Will Take Care Of That.

fill the tank, pour in a half gallon of vinegar and let it sit for a day.

Then clean it and rinse it out.

After it is clean dilute some bleach in water and scrub the silicone with a toothbrush.

ares;335509 wrote: are you sure the pressure washer didnt break the silicone seals? just double check they are still sealed.

Yes, Im Sure... Its A Low PSI Washer That I Bought To Help With A Few Household Tasks... I Avoided The Silicon Areas.

Wasnt Even Strong Enough To Remove The Green From The Silicone. :tongue2:

Hi, I figured someone had already asked about this but I just want some clarification for my specific application. I just purchased a used Biocube 29 from a local shop and the glass is pretty clean except for fingerprints and smears. But, the black plastic back wall has some green algae remnants and white spots on it. I assume those are coraline algae deposits. Will the white vinegar work on that and the green stuff? The white spots are all over the water pump as well and I've attached a pic of what I'm looking at.

Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
353685=17333-photo.jpg
>
353685=17333-photo.jpg
class="gc-images" title="photo.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Those look like the eggs my nerites leave behind, you might have to break out a razor blade for those. AFAIK vinegar won't take off the green. The reason it works on Coraline is b/c of a chemical interaction that actually breaks down the algae which you can then just wipe away. You could just use a new sponge and get the green stuff off.

Back