UV Poll

I've run one since the beginning and I've never had a problem with algae or Ich. I'm not sure if that was the reason or if I got lucky.

Bcavalli;1037196 wrote: I've run one since the beginning and I've never had a problem with algae or Ich. I'm not sure if that was the reason or if I got lucky.

I've never run one and i've never had a problem with algae or ich :shades:

I always ran one. My approch is "better safe than sorry kind of style." I had ich break out but only one fish at a time. who was introduced to the tank. No other fishes were ever effected in spread of ich and I always was able to scoop up the fish for treatment in qt. So I dont know if UV helped but my fishes are all healthy and happy.

I don't run one on my saltwater tanks but I do run one on my koi pond. My reasoning for not running them on my SW is that I don't want to kill the good pods and worms that are benificial. The only thing I want in my koi pond is clean water for my koi, no algae. Holley:D

I used to run my uv on a timer with the Apex until I found out it can accelerate the failure of the ballast. Since then, I run it 24/7. Lost many a fish to ich before it. Never lost one to ich after it.

Jesse and Seth just curious what UV's the two of you run and what flow rates? Your tanks are some of the best and I'm looking to upgrade my UV.

Seth The Wine Guy;1037382 wrote: I used to run my uv on a timer with the Apex until I found out it can accelerate the failure of the ballast. Since then, I run it 24/7. Lost many a fish to ich before it. Never lost one to ich after it.

Good info and certainly makes sense!

Mine are timed. 160 watts during halide hours, 320w during lights out.

Other systems are designed to run 24/7

ive used uv but on a timer before.

it clears the tank and makes it look pristine clear, however it kills phyto. ich and pods arent going to be affected by it. sure you may kill a few but you would have to dial the flow down to 90k mw per u.
i will definitely incorporate uv in my next build but it would be off 90% of the time and on whenever there is an algae or heterotroph bloom.

if i went sps or photo only tank, no issues. id keep it on 100%

Bcavalli;1037455 wrote: Jesse and Seth just curious what UV's the two of you run and what flow rates? Your tanks are some of the best and I'm looking to upgrade my UV.

I run an Emperor Aquatics 80w High Output on a ~200twv sps garden. Flow rate is about 350gph. That UV could run a system three times the size but I figure there's always a tank upgrade in the future. Plus, I'm kinda into overkill. :D

Seth The Wine Guy;1037653 wrote: I run an Emperor Aquatics 80w High Output on a ~200twv sps garden. Flow rate is about 350gph. That UV could run a system three times the size but I figure there's always a tank upgrade in the future. Plus, I'm kinda into overkill. :D

Almost identical here except I added an extensive life support system to my previous total water volume of 120. Essential taking the total volume up to 300 or so I'll be looking to add another 80 w very soon.

Theoretically, running a much larger UV than your system requires also allows you to get a much longer bulb life. (Along with running the bulb 24/7. The firing of the bulb is what wears it out the most.) Even with the bulb at 50% of its peak efficiency, it's enough to cover my tank's needs. I still change the bulb every 12 months.

Back