Vacuuming sand bed straight into socks?

mdumet

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just came across this video on YouTube and it technically makes a lot of sense but would like to know if there are any contraindications to doing this?
If it, in fact, works without any issues, makes me think why I'm just hearing about it! LOL

Anyways, any feedback on the subject would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mauricio

My $0.02, I would not do it. I doubt a filter-sock can filter the ultra fine crap and decomposition from the water.

Doesn't it still really cloud the water? I've ran detritus and stuff through a 100 micron sock and it was still really, really cloudy. I can see doing it for a few gallons maybe and adding that back into the tank but it doesn't seem to get all of the fines in my experience.

You could take it a step further. Have a dedicated sock for the sandbed and stuff it full of poly fiber. You wouldn't be fouling up your normal sock and the poly is disposable and should carry the brunt of the detritus.

Just like in car engines and power, there's no replacement for displacement. In our tanks we're displacing high nutrient water with no nutrient water. (Yes there's other things that go with a water change but that's still a big part.)

Socks catch particulates. If you have a big problem that involves particulate this method is great. Algae, diatoms... If there's a lot of partiulate in your sand go for it. But on the other hand if this is just a routine cleaning it won't filter the dissolved waste from that water that doesn't normally have the current the rest of the tank water does which keeps it in suspension.

I like what Ryan at BRS said recently in a vid. Your sand bed is basically a sewage pit or septic tank. So think of it this way. How would you like to take a shower with water that was pulled from a septic tank an run through filter socks? :eek:o_O let alone drink it. There's no puke emoji lol.

I the factors to consider are whether you keep a shallow sand bed/deep sand bed/or barebottom and then the frequency. I don't keep sand anymore except in the sump so I vac the tanks out whenever I see detritus building. Although when I had a shallow sand bed it was something I did regularly and I never experienced any issues.

I the factors to consider are whether you keep a shallow sand bed/deep sand bed/or barebottom and then the frequency. I don't keep sand anymore except in the sump so I vac the tanks out whenever I see detritus building. Although when I had a shallow sand bed it was something I did regularly and I never experienced any issues.
I agree with this. I think it should be done in conjunction with a water change. You could filter the sand then do your normal water change. You would remove the solids that are in the sand before they turn into nitrates and remove the nitrates that have accumulated since the last water change. For me, it's more about the ability to get the whole sand bed without having to drain half the tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

These are all great comments, thanks everyone for your feedback!

I usually do water changes and replace my socks every other weekend and that’s been working for me so far. Like I said I just stumbled upon this video and wanted to know what y’all thought. It definitely sparked some great feedback.

I’d say filtering the sand could potentially be something done on top of what I’m currently doing and I think it could be done in this order:
Filter sand into sock > replace socks > water change

That way I get to filter most of the sand without loosing too much or any water, clean the sock that will need replacing anyways and then do the water change that would, in theory, get rid of any extra detritus that was released in the water column.

I guess it’s something to experiment with. Run a water test before and after to see if any extra phosphates and/or nitrates got released.

Your strategy sounds perfect IMHO. Do you have any extra large socks you could put one inside the other?
There were occasions I would do this through double socks filled with filter floss. I’d hang it temporarily inside the sump (before cleaning the sump).
Then again, when I had a sand bed I was OCD about keeping it clean, not sure why lol.

Keep an eye on the water level in your sump while doing it, the return pump may not keep up with the extra water going into the sump.

I feel that if you use this method to clean your sand for the first time in years, you are asking for trouble.

If you use this method to clean sand and rockwork on a regular basis, how is it any different than the detritus going over the overflow and into the filter sock?

I feel that if you use this method to clean your sand for the first time in years, you are asking for trouble.

If you use this method to clean sand and rockwork on a regular basis, how is it any different than the detritus going over the overflow and into the filter sock?

Agree on doing this a regular maintenance.

The difference would be not having to keep the detritus suspended in the hopes that it makes it to the overflow. It settled in the sand for a reason. This ensures that if it is capable of being vacuumed and caught by a sock, it will be.

Agree on doing this a regular maintenance.

The difference would be not having to keep the detritus suspended in the hopes that it makes it to the overflow. It settled in the sand for a reason. This ensures that if it is capable of being vacuumed and caught by a sock, it will be.

I agree with what you are saying and that was basically my point (not very well made now that I re-read my post). ;)

It was an attempt to be a counter point for the people that think this is a dangerous method to clean your sand. I think it can be dangerous if you are pulling 2 year old nutrients from your sand and recyling the water into your sump. However, if you use this method every month or more frequently, it isn't any more dangerous than detritus going into the overflow.

Since we have automatic water changes being done daily, and we vacuum weekly, this method is not really harmful. Probably would not do if we were not on this schedule.

I do the opposite. I vacuumed the top 1-2 inches straight into 3 buckets. (Usually that fills each bucket about 1/3 full)Then I continue to fill the 3 buckets all the way to the top as part of a water change. (2 birds with one stone) then I take them to the back porch where I vigorously stir the sand into the water one at a time. This releases the dirt and crap in the sand causing it to suspend temporarily in the water column. Then I pour the water put quickly before it settles. Then I add it back to the aquarium. This prevents the stuff in the sand from being released into my aquarium water column.

I do the opposite. I vacuumed the top 1-2 inches straight into 3 buckets. (Usually that fills each bucket about 1/3 full)Then I continue to fill the 3 buckets all the way to the top as part of a water change. (2 birds with one stone) then I take them to the back porch where I vigorously stir the sand into the water one at a time. This releases the dirt and crap in the sand causing it to suspend temporarily in the water column. Then I pour the water put quickly before it settles. Then I add it back to the aquarium. This prevents the stuff in the sand from being released into my aquarium water column.
I ment to add that I usually do 3 more buckets of water right after. First a total of six full 5 gallon buckets of water. Maybe this helps in some way to take care of any nutrients that still remains in the sand..all I know is it works and my sand stays pretty clean throughout.

IMO filter most filter socks used are only 200 microns, that's pretty large I use a 50 micron for cleaning and water polishing.

Back