Varios 8 vs Ecotech M1/L1

rmorris

Reaction score
Really stuck trying to decide on a DC return pump and hoping folks here can give me firsthand feedback.

I have heard from on local LFS that he tried running Varios 8's external but they kept leaking so he has to run them internal. Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

I also see a lot of chatter online about Vectra power supply problems. Not sure if these have been fixed yet for either the M1 or L1. I heard from the same LFS that told me about the Varios that the M1s have been fixed but the L1 has not and supposedly will be months before it will be. But then again, he only had an M1 in stock. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

I had the same conundrum a couple of months ago. I'm glad I went Vectra.... Get a Reef Link, a control it however you want from your phone or anywhere....

FWIW...I have run a Vectra L1 for over a year. Flawless. No problem with power supply or any other part. Mine has been run in my sump.

The Varios is the better pump here is why.

I have both of these pumps and while both do a fantastic job of pumping water the Varios is a much more complete package. Mine came with a float switch that you can hook up that shuts the pump off if you run low on water, and Im sure other stuff I dont use it for. But the most important thing to me is the Varios hooks up to my Neptune Apex allowing a ton of control you'll never get with the Vectra.

When I feed rather than turning the pump completely off I like to turn it down to 5% so that it keeps head pressure but doesnt really push any water out. That way the food remains in the tank but when I power it back up after feeding it doesnt send bubbles through my manifold disrupting media in my reactors.

Back