Versa Review

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
In order to consolidate all of my equipment and dosing lines a bit I bit the bullet and purchased the versa+base station despite the report from other hobbyists both here and on R2R regarding the leaking.

versa.jpg
Sure enough, all of the lines/connectors leak at one degree or another (see video). Knowing their level of support for their customers and willingness to help, they over-nighted the replacement parts and now it's no longer leaking. From the get-go, the dosing system communicates with the mobius app via bluetooth and there's rumor that they will slowly roll out the wifi capability in the near future. I find setting it up easy but find the documentation a bit lacking for those who are a bit more technologically oriented. For example, i did not see documentation regarding what each of the LEDs on top of dosers do and what they correspond to. I would encourage them to publish that info somewhere so that those who are more inclined to find out can do so accordingly. Also, I ran into issues with firmware update and something about "docking incomplete" error message when every doser is seated properly. But these issues got resolved after some tinkering and reboot.

I'm very sensitive to noise and some of you who have seen my setup commented how quiet my setup is. I know the level of noisiness is subjective and various from person to person but my personal goal is to be able to sleep/nap on the couch next the tank. Well, before Versa, I had the Kamoer FX-STP and it was QUIET. it was quiet out of the box and i did not have to lubricate it any further and it performed exceptionally during the time that i owned it. Versa, on the other hand, is noisier than Kamoer. some of you with Masterplex will see a big difference/improvement if you were to run Versa but for me it's a downgrade. I can still hear the planetar gear humming with my stand cabinet doors closed when i have the first doser set to constant 40ml per min. If i tune it down to 20-30ml/min, i do not hear much. So moving forward I will probably setup a quick connect manifold between doser #1 and doser #2 to achieve that rate.But again, apples to apples: Kamoer at 40ml vs Versa at 40ml, Kamoer wins hands down.

I did also have DOS and Versa is quieter than DOS and i find the setting of the dosage on mobius is slightly easier than if you were to do so on the APEX.

85070471_176465073633200_5092618456025530368_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mines been running great after I got my replacement. The tubing assembly on the replacement came with 2 orings where the original only had one. There is a slight whine but I cant hear it with my cabinet closed. Im at 80ml/min. It probably gets drowned out by the sound of my overflow, vortechs, etc... but its gotten quieter with time. Some on R2R got rid of the whine by manually turning it a few times both ways.

Mines been running great after I got my replacement. The tubing assembly on the replacement came with 2 orings where the original only had one. There is a slight whine but I cant hear it with my cabinet closed. Im at 80ml/min. It probably gets drowned out by the sound of my overflow, vortechs, etc... but its gotten quieter with time. Some on R2R got rid of the whine by manually turning it a few times both ways.

is whine and hum the same thing? do they have a video somewhere so that i can compare?

Couldnt find any videos that shows the proper sound. I looked because I didnt know if the noise was normal or not. It's not a hum though. Its not constant and only when 1 or 2 rollers are making contact. Some on R2R got rid of this by squeezing silicone grease inside the rollers. It doesnt bother me so I never attempted it.

I'm very interested to see how you guys feel after 4-6 months using these in continuous dosing.

you got it, Adam (assuming i haven't sold it due to noise by then)

@lshin037 yes, silicone grease is the next thing i'm going to get. funny how Kamoer comes with a tube of grease while this didn't.

also from a publicity point of view i believe ETM has failed the roll-out. the replacement parts are not that costly. if they know they have potential failures out there, why couldn't they just send out replacement parts to all the lfs/vendors that they have sold it before the corrective action has taken place. just ask the lfs/vendor to have these replacement parts on hands before anything happens. i believe at this point every doser they manufacture has this issue resolved but it's about being proactive rather than reactive.

I'm very interested to see how you guys feel after 4-6 months using these in continuous dosing.

I'll try and remember to give an update after 6 months but will definitely update if anything goes wrong. I still have my masterflex ready for backup duty. Its construction is much more solid than the little kamoer x1 I use for AA dosing and that little pump has been working flawlessly for the 10 months I've had it.

you got it, Adam (assuming i haven't sold it due to noise by then)

@lshin037 yes, silicone grease is the next thing i'm going to get. funny how Kamoer comes with a tube of grease while this didn't.

also from a publicity point of view i believe ETM has failed the roll-out. the replacement parts are not that costly. if they know they have potential failures out there, why couldn't they just send out replacement parts to all the lfs/vendors that they have sold it before the corrective action has taken place. just ask the lfs/vendor to have these replacement parts on hands before anything happens. i believe at this point every doser they manufacture has this issue resolved but it's about being proactive rather than reactive.

There were quite a few folks having issues with them..mainly the quick-connects. Im not sure if any LFS's got any. They sell out as quick as they're stocked on BRS and MD.

lfs and vendor have special channels of communication that you and i don't. that's why i'm surprised by the MO from Ecotech knowing the issues are out there.

Gotcha. Didnt know that. Are there any lfs in the area that have them? If I have the need for another one, i'd rather buy get it locally

Yes I’m a neat freak when it comes to this and yes it’s a waste of a spare pump
e7cb6073c79129f3fec293551e09c7d0.jpg

What's with the dirty hose running through that beautiful plumbing and the crumbs or dust on the platform below?????

J/K :D:cool: Looks great. Too bad you have to use two heads to get 40ml/min.
lol, you are not wrong here regarding the dirty soft tubing. it's part of the consolidation and will be done shortly.

but all in all, it's a big difference, at least for me, when it comes to noise level. i may just go ahead get myself another kamoer to run the calrx depending on what i need to dose.

Nice, that's what I was looking to hear! What else do you use the other pumps for besides the extra one? I had actually found a used kamoer at a great price but decided to use the versa.

Back