Very P'd at UPS, VERY happy with MarineDepot

jdavenp3

Market
Reaction score
So the story goes...

I order a new JBJ rimless 30g from MarineDepot, get it shipped ground. It arrived in 4 business days from Cali, so I was impressed. I told UPS to hold my items at will call.

I go up to will call to receive my tank and notice the box is laying upside down of the "this side up" sign, very beat up, very worn. It was well larger than what the tank dimensions were so I figured there would be enough packaging to protect it.

BOOOOYYYYYY was I wrong. Got home, opened the box, and before I even lifted the cover I saw shards of glass. I told my fiancee that it was busted, in very adult terminology. I take the top lid off and glass is literally everywhere. No wall on the tank is not broken, overflows, bottom glass, the whole thing is in shambles.

Here is the good part. Marine depot rectified the situation in, oh, 3 minutes. I told them the problem, the told me to snap some pics and send it in. Did that and had an order filled 10 minutes later.

I wish there was ONE cargo carrier in this country that did a proper job in shipping. Just one. :(

Sorry for the bad luck. I'm happy for you that Marine Depot rectified things.

Allen,

That was the best part. Marine Depot did all of the claim filing for me. I just sent pictures and they took over from there. New tank will be here tomorrow (I splurged and overn nighted fed ex). But I cannot complain about the shipping charges for that because that was my choice.

Marine Depot said to hold the item for 8 days, if UPS does not contact me and get the broken item that I could throw it away or donate it. So in a week or so if anyone wants a lot of broken glass, do not hesitate to ask.

Glad they made it right for you. :) When we receive anything we suspect might be damaged I will mark the bill of lading "Possible Concealed Damage". Had a truck driver go irate on me once for doing that so I told him he could stand there while we opened ever box on an entire truck load of light fixtures or he could let me write that. LOL After 5 minutes of opening boxes he said I could write what I want on the ticket.

Filing a claim is always the responsibility of the shipper. Shipping insurance insures the shipper, not the recipient.

JeF4y;761795 wrote: Filing a claim is always the responsibility of the shipper. Shipping insurance insures the shipper, not the recipient.

Not when it is shipped FOB Loading Dock. As soon at the carrier picks up the shipment it becomes your property. That is why all of my purchase orders state "FOB Job Site". By the way, FOB means "freight on board".

rdnelson99;761796 wrote: Not when it is shipped FOB Loading Dock. As soon at the carrier picks up the shipment it becomes your property. That is why all of my purchase orders state "FOB Job Site". By the way, FOB means "freight on board".

Well, yeah. but then you're the shipper. =)

Allen;761797 wrote: That is awesome, man. I will definitely be dealing with Marine Depot when the time comes.

HAHAHA!!!

Honestly, I probably would have bought from a sponsor if I could have found this particular tank and light locally.

HOWEVER, Marine Depot definitely earned my loyalty. All emails and phone calls were answered promptly and with good knowledge of the proper steps I needed to take.

This unfortunate incident did give me the opportunity to go ahead and order a MP10.

fedex cost more but is better on shipping. i would always mark the BOL pkg has damage.

just like when I worked shipping food goods on LTL. and they have corrosive on the trailer and I would mark the freight bill " driver aware of corrosive on trailer" and make him sign it before loading. I was asked many times why I was a butt for doing this. about 3 yrs later we had a shipment involved in a wreck. the BOL was marked as stated. we refused the return as we did not want to be responsible for maybe a cross contamination

I hope Fed Ex is better. There was not a single pane of glass that was not shattered on the tank.

There were no sides, front completely gone, overflow and sump cracked. Corners were smashed in.

I think a careless forklift driver may have played tank soccer with it during his lunch break.

Back