Vinegar Soak: Powerheads

Well yeah, but does it get rid of junk off the powerhead any faster?

It seemed to of worked. You could see the algae rising in the bubbles of the reaction.

you could also use some muratic acid mixed with water (1:3)....if you think vinegar works you should see this stuff....30 minutes in that solution and you wont even need to scrape anything off...just amke sure you rinse really well before putting i back in the tank.

I just soak mine iwith a capful of bleach diluted with water for a few hours. Then I soak in vinegar diluted with water, about 1:3 and it works great. I just soak mine for days and I dont even have to scrub, really, everything just kinda dissolves. I guess that depends though on how dirty they are initially.

Yeah you saw mine though, they were pretty dirty haha, but I got it cleaned up and back in the tank last night, I think I may just drop the mag 9.5 in there to free up some more room but we'll see if that's too much.

if you use vinager, there are no worries about chlorine from bleach or muric acid.

i dilute my vinager when soaking (usually overnight or longer). can also store and reuse the vinager. the solution is a little funky looking, but will work for many more powerheads. i will reuse many times before pouring down the drain. after done toothbrushing, i give a good rinse and dry. usually have a couple powerheads laying around, so they don't go straightback into the tank.

Yeah, but the chlorine from the bleach is also detoxified once it dries, so if you do use bleach, either prime it or let it dry out. The bleach just dries to become salts so it goes by-by

Back