Wanna get a chevron or powder blue tang...

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of picking up either a chevron or powder blue tang.. or both.

I had a powder blue tang that I ended up losing the battle to ICH about two months ago. Since then, I've added a massive UV sterilizer thats been running for about a month. Since thats about the life cycle of ICH, I'm thinking 99% of it has been zapped. I should probably hold off one more month before picking up another tang, but anyways...

I currently have a blue hippo and purple tang. The only problem is, having 4 tangs in a 120g is probably too much. The purple tang is a mean sucker at that...

So, what would you guys recommend? Take the purple tang out and sell him and add the chevron and PBT? If I pick up just one of these fish, I think i'm gonna end up relocating the purple tang to the 30g rubbermaid container for a week or so just to give the new guy a chance to settle in without getting harassed. The purple tang will flick the crap out of any new fish I introduce into the tank. He sure has claimed it as his own. Every now and then, he still gets a little buggy towards the blue hippo.

Will relocating the purple tang to the rubbermaid container for a week actually do anything with his aggression, or once he's introduced back into the display tank would he go crazy as #!$! again?

The chevron tangs are pretty friendly, right? Any signs of aggression towards other fish?

Don't they clean detritus?

Chevron would be more calm. The powder blue needs alot of length in a tank especially with other tangs as it gets older and bigger. They pace and pace and pace the tank feeding

phoenix20;459469 wrote: The chevron tangs are pretty friendly, right? Any signs of aggression towards other fish?

Don't they clean detritus?

These fish Clean like theres no tomorrow...and friendly to boot.

Hm. I was thinking about getting a serpent sea star to help with the detritus issue, but I guess if I get a chevron then I wont have to worry about that....

Highly recommend Chevron - get a small one while they still have the coloration, by adulthood they keep their pattern but loose that electric orange color. Chevrons are very peaceful, and clean your tank, they sift through the sand and eat a lot of algae. Powder Blues dont add this kind of service and swim like crazy so you do need a big tank. Powder Blues are also Ich magnets. I had one over a year ago that brought some kind of extremely harmful parasite (looked like ich but may have been more harmful) into my tank and lost ALL fish. I will never own a PBT again. too paranoid.

My chevron was my favorite fish and was doing great and then suddenly died about 6 months after introducing it. strange occurance. I would still get one again though.

Back