Want to help Eric Borneman?

margi

Lifetime
Reaction score
While at Saltwater U Eric Borneman mentioned to Steve & me that he is trying to conduct a salt study, but needs additional salt samples. I know what a wonderful bunch of people we have in our club, so I offered to ask for your help!

They need for people to purchase the below listed salts from various locations (local, online, etc.). They must be NEW and unsealed containers. Take 3 1/2 pounds of the salt and pour it into a CLEAN (unused) 1 gallon (heavy duty) zip lock bag (I would double bag it to be sure). Then label the bag with:

Salt type and size of container purchased
Vendor name and location
Purchase date
Donator's name and contact information
We will need $11 per sample for postage. Please post here if you can donate salt (and if so, list type and location so we don't duplicate effort) and/or the postage. Let's show Houston what Georgia is all about!

Thanks,

Margi

5 samples of Oceanic salt.
6 samples of Tropic Marin
9 samples Reef Crystals
10 samples Crystal Seas
9 samples Coralife
9 samples hwMarineMix
9 samples Kent
8 samples Red Sea

In weight, 1,324.75 grams of salt should mix 10 gallons of water to 35ppt salinity. This is 1.325kg or 2.92 pounds of salt. I would suggest that an excess of 20% be provided, making the amounts:
1590 grams
1.59 kilograms
3.5 pounds
The following protocol should be followed for ALL donations

1. all salts must be purchased new and unopened
2. salts should be poured directly from the container into a large new (unused) 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Please do not use any other sort of container unless is new, sealed, and never opened, or unless you know how to properly clean containers for specimen use by triple rinsing, at least. If the salt is not poured directly from the container, the scooping device should be extremely clean and extremely well rinsed from any residues. Each bag should be labeled with the information below and sealed immediately.
3. All donations must be labeled with the following information:

Vendor name and location
Purchase date

Margi wrote: While at Saltwater U Eric Borneman mentioned to Steve & me that he is trying to conduct a salt study, but needs additional salt samples. I know what a wonderful bunch of people we have in our club, so I offered to ask for your help!

Vendor name and location
Purchase date

Margi,

Um, what do we do with these bags once we have them together? I have 2 new unopened buckets I bought from Jenn (Imagine Ocean), one of Kent and one of Oceanic, and could probably let a couple of pounds of each go if they are still needed. I'll need to open them by around the 25th (can open earlier).

Not sure if I will be at the meeting this month...

Thanks!

-Mike

Mike -

Please get large zip-lock bags - put about 3 1/2 pounds (clean catch if possible) into the bag - and double bag. Write where and when you got the sample - the brand; size of original container; your name and contact info. (Obviously package them seperately) - then if you want you can bring them to the meeting and I will make sure they get to Eric (I will find out where to send them in the meanwhile).

Thank you,

Margi

I talked with Eric a few months ago and he told me they had just done a study....... wondering what they are testing now?
He has been out of country for a while and I haven't been able to get in touch...

Eric and Kim Lowe from Marsh discussed their results from the Salt Study at MACNA this year. Hopefully we can have a small discussion at the next meeting about it.

Does anyone have a gist of the results? (or have they not been published yet?)

Bob and I havea Jist of the results... you will have to attend the meeting to find out.

Back