Want to Increase Flow ... Suggestions?

Sweetpea;119683 wrote: . My pavona, pocillipora and millepora retracted immediately. I adjusted the flow so it went more over than at the corals, and it made no difference. I unplugged it after a couple of hours, and even four hours later they had not relaxed enough to open up.

It takes time for corals to adjust to higher flows. It took 2 weeks plus for some corals to open up when i bump up the flow.

FWIW just installed some more koralia 4s today they came with "mod kit" this time. It is just an attachment to direct the flow and make the steam more narrow. The other ones ive used did not come with this attachments,

The Sureflow moded MJ 1200 with the 2000GPH prop on them moves MUCH MUCH more water than Hydro Koralia 4. Too much for some tanks.

mysterybox;119719 wrote: I'm sure that you already tried this, but just in case........try aiming that pump either toward the glass away from the coral or toward the surface. The motion from ph will eventually get around, but very diffused.

Okay... I'll admit I over-reacted... :blush: I neglected to allow time for the corals to adjust to the new flow. Yes, the flow is deflected against the front of the tank, but its angle is over, rather than at, the corals in its path. They are looking much better now after a few days! :)

Roland - I really appreciate your comments. Your suggestions are right where I'm thinking now, with the addition of another possibility (I'll explain in another post).

I have an online shopping cart filled and ready to go, just waiting on hubby's approval.

I do apologize for seeming to disappear and taking so long to reply. Things are a bit rough here, but I always like to tell people that my tanks are a source of joy and relaxation for me. Even in the dry spells, I never tire of gazing at my tiny piece of the ocean.

Again, thanks so much for your help, everyone! --Tracy

(PS- for those of you who pray, please offer one up for my mom. Thanks!)

I had the same issues. I finally solved my problems when I added a 1" sea swirl hooked up to a pan world 150 pump to create a closed loop. I kept 1 1200 modded maji jet ph and tossed the other 3 that I had. The sea swirl is a nice way to not add heat and vary the flow in different directions.

Thanks a bunch! Mom's still in the hospital, but she might get to go home tomorrow!

Back