Wanting to re aquascape

christopherjay

Market
Reaction score
Ive been wanting to move my rock work around..its a 18 gallon biocube..and I know that some of the rock will be out of the water for like 3 minutes..whats the best way to do this?

pull it out and set it on the ground ;)

Seriously though, you'll be fine. Rock and coral can be out of the water for a good bit....think about low tide around the reefs. Obviously less time out of the water is better, but you should have nothing to worry about.

You'll have die off if it's out of the tank for quite a bit of time. If you're nervous, you could always make up some water. In all honesty, I think you'll have more of an issue if you kick up the sand too much (try to limit that as much as you can) rather than die off on rocks that been out of the water for a few minutes.

Thanks so much..My bubble coral is getting to close to my rics so its time to move things around...my bubble coral is getting to big for my tank:(..he is about 10 or 11 inches long now opened is about 5 or 6 wide..might be time to sell it...

glxtrix;350810 wrote: You'll have die off if it's out of the tank for quite a bit of time. If you're nervous, you could always make up some water. In all honesty, I think you'll have more of an issue if you kick up the sand too much (try to limit that as much as you can) rather than die off on rocks that been out of the water for a few minutes.

+1

and good to see you're still hanging around the boards.

I like to use the time to do a water change. You can keep most of your rock/corals in the waste water (which is what they were in before anyway). Throw an air-stone and heater, and you can take your time aquascaping. That and it gives you a window of time which you can allow the sand to settle a bit before putting any delicate corals or fish back in.

Yeah im still around..Tank is doing great..I need someone to come over and frag some of this stuff..Its getting to big for my tank..I also have a free 30 gallon and 20 gallon tank if anyone wants it..I was thinking of trading some of my big rocks for small ones

I wish my bubble was doing that well. All of a sudden it seems like the flesh is tearing off the skeleton :( I guess time to move it somewhere else....it was doing fine for awhile.

Yeah move it around a little..I also feed mine a little bit of shrimp every other week..Ill take some pics and post them later today

I never could find out how much those things cost..Mine was a store credit deal..Had it for about a year now..

I bought mine...I think it was baseball size-ish....paid 40 or 50 for it I think.

I dont know if it was mentioned above since I quickly scanned through, but the only thing that will suffer tremendously with short air contact is sponges. As you remove the rock you can look to see if you have a lot of sponges, but unless the tank has been running for a long time (maybe a year or more) you may not have many.

I have exposed some of my sponges to air ad it really does get them quickly. I'm not sure if them dying will greaty contribute to a cycle, but if you do get some that start to die, they are usually easy to just scrub off the rock with a stiff brush to avoid contamination.

Is it pink or green? If it's green I'm interested. I got a pink one from Derek, softball sized, and paid $30, so I'd think somewhere around $50-$60 would be the value depending on what shape it's in (of course this is not retail, this would be like on the boards, retail I would guess is much more).

Back