water bottle top off

blind1993

Market
Reaction score
ok i was wondering if we could top off our aquarium with water bottles that are past 24hrs(after opened). instead of dumping them down the drain. we could also use them in water changes.

any input?

it all depends on the type of water that it is, most bottled water i spring water or mineral water. These types of water can be vwry harmful to the inhabitants of your tank. If the water is distilled, which is highly unlikely, then you can ue it even though RODI water works better.

I was watching myth busters the other night I don't remember what myth they where "busting" but they did show that distilled water would not boil I thought that was pretty cool. You can super heat the water and then drop in anything and the water will instantly go into a violent boil.

Caution: Blind don't go and try this!

Yes, Distilled water + a CLEAN measuring cup + a microwave for 2 min = a very BAD idea!!!

For what it's worth, we have Culligan deliver water to the salon and I always commandeer one of the bottles for topping of the tank. I'll usually go through just over a 5-gallon jug a week. Haven't had any problems with it.

Hope this helps!

Bleedingthought;93023 wrote: So, wait... What happens to the water now? :)
Same thing as normal water. Water can superheat in a microwave. It looks like regular boiling until you disturb it and then literally errupts. Water and steam blow out of the cup.

Anyone who makes pasta a lot has probably seen this happen. Doesn't have to be distilled water, though it works better with pure water. A great deal of it has to do with the boiling method. Since a microwave evenly and gently heats the water, it will happen easier in there. Most people agitate water that's on the stove and don't use distilled water to boil food.

As a physics experiment, it's pretty cool. Blind, don't let me have to get an earful from one of your parents because you decided to try this at home.

On the original topic, lots of bottled water has minerals added. I'd run it through a complete chlorine, iron, phosphate, silicate, nitrate, etc, etc test before considering using it. I assume most bottled water doesn't have fluoride in it.

I wouldnt pour bottled water in my tank..Just my opinion...Evian water has a TDS of about 320..even says it on the bottle..I love to drink Fiji water, but has tons of Silica..I think around 80ppm....All of the added minerals and other crap..JMO though..

Why would you dump out water after being opened 24 hrs? I get that it has a potential to grow bacteria, but refrigerate or drink, right? If you bought distilled water, I'd say go ahead. Why risk it to avoid dumping pennies worth of water down the drain?

blind1993;92930 wrote: ok i was wondering if we could top off our aquarium with water bottles that are past 24hrs(after opened). instead of dumping them down the drain. we could also use them in water changes.

any input?

well i am buying water from kroger just need to find a sutible bucket.

also it does not matter if refrigerated.

Back