water changes Vs no water changes

I do 5 gallon water changes every Sunday. I actually suck the water out of the main tank, and yes my big stag (See my avitar) actually gets exposed to the air, but only for a short time. No sliming from it. I use an old plastic pitcher to refill the tank, but use an old large butter tub inside the tank to the pour the water into help min any direct shock or disturbance to the tank from my pouring water into the tank. Total time is usually around 7 minutes or less from start to finish.

My sump is turned off, my Vortech is still on feed mod.

jtshack;250509 wrote: No way would I leave my corals exposed while I do a water change. Whether it kills them or not isn't the question IMHO, but rather the amount of stress it causes. Just not worth the risk
Have you seen the link to the coral exposed for hours above water? I have an all SPS tank and several of my corals are exposed for 15-20+ minutes. I'm not saying I'm right, I just think that corals are able to resist limited exposure out of water. When I frag and mount corals, I actually glue them and let them set on the plug for 5+ minutes before I put them on the frag rack. I have yet to lose a frag.

Back