Water Movement

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
How much flow do you have in your tank? What coral are you catering to?

Does anyone have a mainly SPS tank that requires high flow, but also has lps that need lower flow? How do you handle this?

In my 250 (60x36x30), which is mainly SPS, is running with 2 mp40's at 50-60%.

The coral all seem to be doing well, but recently I noticed a little cyano forming, indicating lack of flow. I've also suffered from hair algae which is consecrated in the back of the tank. Could this be from too little flow aswell?

I'm thinking about adding a gyre 150 to help better circulate the water. Currently I have 1 mp40 on each side of the tank. When I do add the maxspect I wanted to place it on the top left side of the tank to push water all the way across the tank. But not sure how to reposition the mp's?

Two ways I've thought of doing it is to:
1) Put both on the right side of the tank to counter the gyre and create more random flow.
2) Leave one on the right side and place the second on the back to move more water out of the back of the tank.

What are your thoughts?

Here is a picture so you can get an idea of my Aquascape.
image.jpg9_zps4cdhf1jn.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I was doing the whole mixed reef thing but got tired of trying to find the sweet spot(and I have an acro problem!) So I kicked the LPS out and set up another tank. Lol. In my 180 sps room divider peninsula tank I run a 150gyre on one side and 2 rw20's on the other. I do have a few pieces of LPS like chalices and a hulk lepto.

Thank you for starting this thread as I have the same questions but on a RSM 250. I'm running completely stock now but was wondering would I need to add a power head to add more flow.

On my 210 sps tank, I can't keep euphillya due to flow. I run 2 rw15, 2 wp40, 2 wp25. On my 93 LPS tank I run 2 Hydor 1250s on a Hydor wave controller and 1 rw15 turned all the way down in w1 mode.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

&lt;a href=&quot;http://&quot;
IMG_2922.jpg
/></a>"&gt;
IMG_2922.jpg
alt="" /></a></a>

I have a 100 gallon display, overflow outside with two mp 40 quiet drives and a mp 10 all on reefcrest mode at 60% to 70%. I have one lps far left forward of flow, one dead center with rocks and sps blocking some flow, and one far right also forward the flow. The Goni on the right actually likes this amount of flow.

Very strategic placement without a doubt, I'm a strong believer in that you can have an LPS and SPS tank thrive together just as you've shown!

I've had a few low flow issues with my Gyre. I would recommend one under the gyre and possibly one on your back wall moving water through your rock work. Other than that the Gyre effect is pretty amazing. Your tanks looking really good Luke!

3d8b522b87a47da61adb504f6945879c.jpg
alt="" /> mixedish reef running two rw4's and a hydor 250 or what ever the smallest is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

LSU_fishFan;1085726 wrote: How much flow do you have in your tank? What coral are you catering to?

Does anyone have a mainly SPS tank that requires high flow, but also has lps that need lower flow? How do you handle this?

In my 250 (60x36x30), which is mainly SPS, is running with 2 mp40's at 50-60%.

The coral all seem to be doing well, but recently I noticed a little cyano forming, indicating lack of flow. I've also suffered from hair algae which is consecrated in the back of the tank. Could this be from too little flow aswell?

I'm thinking about adding a gyre 150 to help better circulate the water. Currently I have 1 mp40 on each side of the tank. When I do add the maxspect I wanted to place it on the top left side of the tank to push water all the way across the tank. But not sure how to reposition the mp's?

Two ways I've thought of doing it is to:
1) Put both on the right side of the tank to counter the gyre and create more random flow.
2) Leave one on the right side and place the second on the back to move more water out of the back of the tank.

What are your thoughts?

Here is a picture so you can get an idea of my Aquascape.
image.jpg9_zps4cdhf1jn.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Not an absolute . cyano will form in tanks with tremendous flow.

Back