Water Parameter Advice please

mrmrburke

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

So my chalice and birds nest i recently got started bleaching and dying. Also a rock flower anemone has been bleached since before I introduced it to the tank, and his not regained its color in a couple of months. I moved my light up from 13 to 18 inches from water. Moved my chalice in a shady spot and still not regaining color. I also noticed some of my zoo's started to bleach (just a bit) so I got concerned and ran to my LFS for some advice.

They mentioned it could be mag and calc being off which is causing some of the LPS to bleach and die.

I got a red sea MG AK and Calc test kit to test my waters.

I am looking for advice if my water levels are normal or if i need to start dosing or what.

Here's what I got:
30 Gal JBJ Rimless
Kessil A350w

Temp 77.2
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0-8.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-10 ppm

Mg 1450-1500
Ak 7.0 dKH
Calc 460-490 (this one was hard because I thought it turned color then it reverted back to the control color)

Advice for my newbie experience would be graciously accepted.

I don't have a test for phosphates :/ I didn't think I would need to test that as regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first guess would be lighting. I had my lighting too strong, and I had SPS bleach out within a couple of weeks. Took at least two months (and I think more like three or four) for the color to really come back.

ShanePike;954741 wrote: And to answer your question, none of your levels seem problematic.

Agreed.
Mag and Calc are a wee bit high but certainly not enough to cause any harm to anything.

How long are your lights on?
It could be a combo of the lights being too close and on for too long.

ShanePike;954740 wrote: My first guess would be lighting. I had my lighting too strong, and I had SPS bleach out within a couple of weeks. Took at least two months (and I think more like three or four) for the color to really come back.

This was my first inclination which is why i moved it up 6 inches further and i also have been manually keeping the lights below midway for the 9 hours they are turned on. Its only been about 2 weeks since i made these lighting adjustments os maybe i just have to wait it out.

Lights are on 9 hours ...from 3pm til midnight

I don't know much about the kessil. But if you have it ramped up for 9 hrs you could be just blasting them with too much light. I'll let the LED gurus help out on this one.

Chalice is not getting worse as for the birdsnest I'm not sure...the stems are all white which I thought was the skeleton but the bright green polyps still open and close and flow in the water and retain some of the bright green color

Back