Water Storage

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Hey gang, I as thinking of getting one of these for water storage and just wanted to get any thoughts on it.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34375_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1">http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34375_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1</a>

It looks good to me but sometimes things that look good to me end up not working out very well so any input would be appreciated. Also, If anyone wants on I can pick up a few extra since I'll be making the drive to Tractor Supply anyways. Let me know...

Looks like a great water storage container but a little costly. Depending on what space you have to work with you can pick up a 275GAL water container off craigslist pretty cheap. Just make sure it was only used for water storage and no chemicals.

The Brute trash cans at Home Depot cost less and come in either 32 or 44 gal sizes. They work fine. Another advantage to the Brute is that it is taller rather than wider so if you wanted to drop a pump in there to pump the water to a different location, you'd be able to get more water out before the pump started sucking air.

If you buy the brute make sure you get the dolly for it also. Makes moving it around full of water much easier. I use a brute to mix SW and move it to the fishroom. The 275GAL is for RO/DI water and emergency drinking water when armageddon hits!

Barbara;231511 wrote: OMG! You're just like my husband! I'm still sitting on about 3000 pounds of wheat from Y2K. I got tired of making my own bread by about 2004! Good thing that stuff keeps forever.

that stuff sure didn't smell like wheat! and a little greener, too! LOL!

I'm using a brute trash can right now and have a dolly but I was thinking I could mount this and store RODI water in it. I would still let saltwater mix and cure in a Brute but I always seem to need RODI water for something and the thought of making it in large quantities every once in a while as opposed to a few gallons here and there is appealing. On a similar note, does saltwater or RODI water ever get too old? Let's say I've got 25g of saltwater mixed and ready to go in a brute can with a heater and powerhead. Can it get to "old" to use? I would add RODI to account for evaporation but other than that how long would it remain useable?

Barbara;231511 wrote: OMG! You're just like my husband! I'm still sitting on about 3000 pounds of wheat from Y2K. I got tired of making my own bread by about 2004! Good thing that stuff keeps forever.
Make some nice and stout wheat beer

jcook54;231630 wrote: I'm using a brute trash can right now and have a dolly but I was thinking I could mount this and store RODI water in it. I would still let saltwater mix and cure in a Brute but I always seem to need RODI water for something and the thought of making it in large quantities every once in a while as opposed to a few gallons here and there is appealing. On a similar note, does saltwater or RODI water ever get too old? Let's say I've got 25g of saltwater mixed and ready to go in a brute can with a heater and powerhead. Can it get to "old" to use? I would add RODI to account for evaporation but other than that how long would it remain useable?

I keep 32GAL of SW mixed and ready. Just use a PH and heater to keep it at mixed and at the right temp to put in your system. As long as its minimumly sealed it should be fine for a while. I have used SW that has been mixed for over a month with no ill affects!

Back