Water testing questions.....results

by the way, those links in the above article by Randy (chemist) are "in tact" for further reading if u like!

ok once again being told my levels are impossible.........tested again and the level is at 540....i am not saying i will maintain a level of 540 but my level of calcium is at 540 has been for at least a week and a half probably closer to 2 weeks now........im not dosing anything

so lets so that for same crazy reason my level of clacium stays high is that ok for corals or do i need to do something to bring it down?

how are you measuring salinity? What is your ALK today? Calcium should be within 380 to 450. If you are reading 540 in calcium, I suspect a) your salinity is oversaturated (higher than 35 or 1.026 b) your kit is off c) your testing is off. If by chance those numbers are correct, they are not in a stable range for corals, for as the calcium precipitates, ALK will lower.
before you put corals in, I'd would be in the best interest of the animals & your pocket to have an experienced reefer verify those numbers,IMHO. It would be wise to read over those articles, but I believe I already answered your question before. If you are not supplementing calcium, ALK, & mag, and if your system isn't stable with parems that stay in range, I.e,ALK 2.5 to 4.0, calcium at 380 to 450, ph about 7.9 to 8.2, mag about 1250, trates below .5, phosphates below 0.024, adequate random flow, and adequate lighting, I can't recommend any stony coral in that tank. It might live a month or 2, but will most likely perish after that. I really can't add anymore than that. Good luck!

measuring with a hydrometer....alk is still the same calcium like i said still up at 540........my salinity as of right this second 1.026.

these numbers have been varified by the guy at the LFS i know him personally he wouldnt just tell me whatever i watched him do the test.

the only thing i havent tested is magnesium and phosphates buy all my other stuff ph and trates are all staying within range...

my question still to be answered is do i need to do anything to bring my calcium down or should i let it come down on its own and supplement calcium and alk when the levels start to come down i am going to keep them in range but im not gonna dose anything if they are already high i will wait for them to come down and then start dosing

Wait for it to come down. Get it retested by another source. Your buddies kit might be off. Monitor it. Make sure that your hydrometer is calibrated. It could be the problem. Read up all u can. What salt are you using?

Back