Wavemaker.

+1 for jebao wp series , there a quality product well worth the investment, I've not had one fail and I'm looking to invest in another and the tc-4a dual control .
They can also mix match the power heads so you can run a 25 and a 10 if 2x wp25 are too much .

Christina if you watch F/S you can get the vortech (nearly new) much cheaper. Just make sure you see, hear and look it over good!
Then you won't have to think about this again :)
I'm running two MP10's but also two RW8's tucked behind my rock. Haven't cleand any of them in 3-4 months but I'm sure it's time.

i like vortech they look the best and no wires in the tank reef crest will get your tank rocking.hydor are great too and there much cheaper plus hydor has the best customer service out there.tunze are great aswell.

Mikesmith34;1006332 wrote: I've got the dual controller 25's on my 90 gallon tank and they move water around pretty darn well. I'm sure vortex makes a great pump however at the end of the day it's about blowing water around in a glass box. My sticks are growing very well, I've had them several months. They have various settings, speed, pulse wave, alternating back and forth bla bla bla. They will need to be cleaned every 4-6 weeks in a vinegar bath to keep them at peak performance. I bought them brand new for 125ish (I think) and when/if they break I'll buy new ones. 300-600 for a pump to blow water around is not in my tax bracket brother. Buy the jabeo and put your money in lights and skimmer
Finally a reasonable statement.

tonymission;993775 wrote:
This is like arguing that a Kia can get me to work for much less than an Audi. Sure it can but don't try to tell me they're the same cars. :D

This is a better statement.

I can't speak for the jabeo power heads as I've never used them and never will. That's my choice and I don't need to explain myself. I can however speak for vortech pumps as that's my go to power head on any system I run. I run mine on nutrient transport mode where it will create waves in the tank back and forth. It doesn't just push water in a steam like most other power heads do, it moves the entire water column. The wave action will lift any debris that may find it's way on my rocks and behind it and suspend it within the water column. After which it starts to surge all that and push it in my over flow. No I didn't read this somewhere, this is first hand experience. I use to have to stick my hand into the tank every now and then with a turkey baster to blow debris off my rocks. After learning about vortechs and owning my own, I marked that chore off my list completely.

To some it's about how cheap you push water around in a glass box. To others it's about HOW you push water around in a glass box.

It seems that anytime vortechs are brought up there will always be a few that will dog it but that's not what the OP asked.

To the OP, my answer to your question will be vortech pumps. That's what I use.

I picked up a used tunze wavebox about 7 years ago. No idea how old it was when I got it but it ran for 2 years before the pump started making noise. Called up Tunze and they offered me a newer more powerful pump for $150 which I did and its been running for about 5 years with no issues. Plus I only clean it once every 2 years which is nice.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what you want for your money. Personally Im cheap so when I see something quality offered for $500 and something that does the same thing for $50 Ill try the cheap one first. Or in some cases going the cheap route allows me to try stuff I wouldnt otherwise. Worst case I lost $50 and still have to spend the $500. Or it works and I just saved myself a nice lump of money.

You can argue for intellectual theft all you want, in the end it all comes down to money. If I had to do it again I probably would try using something cheap like a Jebao rather then a tunze.

To some it is about value. Both push water around the tank. Both suffice at the task of growing corals. Does one do it better than others depends on your perception of better. But in the end no one has shown where one is better for your corals than the other. To say that Jabeo and Vortech are the same is incorrect. They have different flow patterns and are set up differently. Their pricing is totally different. Their qaulity is different. The noise level are totally different. Their placement in the tank is different. Their appearance is different. All that said I think both of them look like big ugly turds in a tank.
To answer the OP , I prefer closed loops or least some attempt to hide the turds in a wall or back glass.

I have been having a terrible time with used Vortechs, so I can say that if you go that route buy from someone you know, or fork over the money for new ones. That being said their customer service is top notch, I mailed two MP40s to them Saturday and actually had one back today and it looks as if they did not charge me anything. Sadly it still seems to be broken. I'll wait for the other to return to let my BP get really bad though.

I've had Jebaos since the initial group buy and did have one of my two 25s stop working, probably after 14 or 15 months. It cost $20 to buy a part off another member to make it work again.

Since I can't afford a new Vortech it looks like I'm going to have to go with the new RW Jebao series to get a wireless link and let the Vortech dream go for now.

On fishstreet they have a plug and play apex interface for any of the jabeo pumps now also. Don't know anything about it but its 35.00. Anybody seen this thing. Just wondering how good it works.

(Connects to apex...not context sorry)

Back