Well i think my new filled 125 has a leak

hatzo1

Market
Reaction score
So I purchased this tank in September and it has been going pretty good. This week I began to notice salt creep along the bottom of the tank. At first I thought it was from dripping that happened when I was changing my return lines this past weekend but it keeps coming back. Not sure what to do at this point, it has me quite worried though.

I had something similar, no bulk heads but it was coming from a bad seat on the top frame of the tank. It was a deep blue tank, didn't have a good silicone seal on the top trim and water siphoned under the trim from my wave maker.

I had something similar, no bulk heads but it was coming from a bad seat on the top frame of the tank. It was a deep blue tank, didn't have a good silicone seal on the top trim and water siphoned under the trim from my wave maker.

Yea this is on the lower frame. I'm going to watch it for a few more days but I'm pretty sure its a slow leak. My thing is its not coming out between the tank and the stand, that kinda confuses me. It is between the glass and frame and creeps upward.
Now after reading Aqueons warranty , I feel I'm going to get screwed or at least they can try.

Well that sucks, sorry to hear that.

I would see if you can verify for sure that is what's happening and if it is leaking swap the tank out ASAP. Even if it means putting a new tank in before you've resolved the issue with Aqueon. That will be much better than coming home to a seal that completely blew out.

Well that sucks, sorry to hear that.

I would see if you can verify for sure that is what's happening and if it is leaking swap the tank out ASAP. Even if it means putting a new tank in before you've resolved the issue with Aqueon. That will be much better than coming home to a seal that completely blew out.

Yeah, Im shopping now , not happy about it especially now with the holidays and the budget stretched.
Wish there were more stores on the southside, I really do not want to go with another big box store brand aquarium.

Well here is there reply. so now the hoop jumping begins.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the email regarding your leaking aquarium. I apologize but we do not recognize the # 5262172 in my data base. Have you contacted the Petsmart to see how they can help under their stores return/exchange policy?

For us to continue with the facilitation of your warranty claim I will need you to provide us the following information:

• A Photo of the aquarium and stand that was utilized with it.
  • A fax or scanned copy of your original, dated proof of purchase along with the contact information of the retailer where the item was purchased.
  • A photo of the aquarium’s production tag/serial # (located either on the bottom seam facing up along the inside top trim).

Once we receive this information we will begin the qualification and quantification process of a manufacturer’s warranty replacement.

Thank You,

Valerie

Yea this is on the lower frame. I'm going to watch it for a few more days but I'm pretty sure its a slow leak. My thing is its not coming out between the tank and the stand, that kinda confuses me. It is between the glass and frame and creeps upward.
Now after reading Aqueons warranty , I feel I'm going to get screwed or at least they can try.

Same situation as mine, the top had an occasional trickle every time the wave-maker pushed water high enough and it trickled down to the bottom frame and appeared as salt creep upward. The occasional trickle was on the rear of t he tank and difficult to track down. Just because you have salt creep on the bottom frame it doesn't meany the tank is really leaking. This happens on all my tanks and is from sloppy tank maintenance, fragging...on my part.

Do you have a puddle of water anywhere, if not then it's most likely not a leak.

Same situation as mine, the top had an occasional trickle every time the wave-maker pushed water high enough and it trickled down to the bottom frame and appeared as salt creep upward. The occasional trickle was on the rear of t he tank and difficult to track down. Just because you have salt creep on the bottom frame it doesn't meany the tank is really leaking. This happens on all my tanks and is from sloppy tank maintenance, fragging...on my part.

Do you have a puddle of water anywhere, if not then it's most likely not a leak.

I have no puddles but it is reoccurring and I have not done any maintenance since the weekend (Friday) Any water that was possibly dripped should have evaporated completely by now imo. Id like to think its not a leak but with my luck it probably is.

Was thinking for getting my shop vac and running over the area to pull the moisture out but not sure if that would be safe.

Was thinking for getting my shop vac and running over the area to pull the moisture out but not sure if that would be safe.
Bad idea! if the silicone really has a weak seal there you'll only make it worse. Possibly much worse.
Try leaving paper along the bottom edge where the creep is, if it is definitely leaking the paper will get wet.
Yes, good idea.

If you clean the salt creep up as best you can you could then use some painters tape to hold a piece of paper towel tightly right under the top trim and another piece over the spot where the creep has been showing up. That should show you if it's coming from the top down or originating where the creep starts.

I had a bulkhead, on the back of a tank, leaking just a very small amount. It was running down the back of the tank, down into the bottom rim and appeared as salt creep on the side of the tank.

Something similar is what I'm guessing you have going on - I agree with taping paper towels around the tank and see where you get moisture.

So got home and put a towel on the edge and this happened. Not a positive sign. Yea that is water being drawn up.
d37884a66467eb77720ce90301e2513a.jpg

Ouch man, I'm sorry to hear that. As I was reading down the thread I was recalling all of the times I thought I had a leak and it turned out to be nothing more than water doing some pretty weird things that seem to defy logic. However, the paper towel test was always negative and my nerves were settled down. If you need help swapping the tank out or a place to store some stuff please let me know.

I just moved the towel again and nothing had come up so I’m wondering now but I will leave it over night and see.
I’m not looking forward to buying a new tank if this is confirmed in the morning. I really have no idea where to find one local . I’m way south of the airport so it’s a pita to go to the north side. But again I don’t want a big box store and if I have to get something else I’m going to get a reef ready and just get my money back hopefully. Worst case reseal it and sell it. So we will see. I’ll keep posting about it.
I’ll get my sister in law who builds furniture to build me a stand like she is for my sons tank.
Thanks for the offer to help, I’ll certainly let ya know .

4f9276e51a53860facb64510eb18a4a0.jpg
94754f2c64a24fa737f8d01d4f195a53.jpg

Well here is an early morning update.
No water on the towel. I am skeptically happy but really confused . I’ll just be keeping a close eye on things the rest of the week.
Yes this is the way things happen in my world.
I seem to be a malfunction magnet in my older age. LOL
a90eff8f337af9807b7ee641d0432c30.jpg

Maybe the initial wetness was rom drawing out remaining water from the bottom plate and now it is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back