What are the best aquarium stores in the Atlanta area and why?

1tank2many

Reaction score
What are the best aquarium stores in the Atlanta area and why? Who has the best service, prices, fish selection, coral health etc?

Im personally a fan of Reef Shac, Optimum Aquarium, Atlanta Aquarium, Pure Reef, and Southern Aquatics (in no preferred order). Each of those have their strengths and weaknesses. And i stop by each one based on its strengths, and if i happen to be nearby.

There are a few popular stores in Atlanta that I avoid at all costs. I wont name them publicly, whether or not they are sponsors. But below are, in rough order, my qualifying questions.

Dealbreakers:
1) Are the tanks 100% pest free, mostly pest free, or terrible? And are the corals healthy?
2) Are the fish healthy? Does the LFS medicate all, as needed, or not at all? How long do they usually turnover fish(sales)?
3) Are drygood prices generally fair?

Other factors:
4) Are employees knowledgable and care for their livestocks well-being, or are they primarily interested in sales?
5) Are livestock prices generally fair? Prices fIuctuate, plus value here is more subjective than drygoods.
6) Are employees friendly?
7) How is their fish selection? Coral selection?
8) How is their drygoods selection?
9) Are the tanks free of algae? And is the store itself relatively clean?

Last edited:
Im personally a fan of Reef Shac, Optimum Aquarium, Atlanta Aquarium, Pure Reef, and Southern Aquatics (in no preferred order). Each of those have their strengths and weaknesses. And i stop by each one based on its strengths, and if i happen to be nearby.

There are a few popular stores in Atlanta that I avoid at all costs. I wont name them publicly, whether or not they are sponsors. But below are, in rough order, my qualifying questions.

Dealbreakers:
1) Are the tanks 100% pest free, mostly pest free, or terrible? And are the corals healthy?
2) Are the fish healthy? Does the LFS medicate all, as needed, or not at all? How long do they usually turnover fish(sales)?
3) Are drygood prices generally fair?

Other factors:
4) Are employees knowledgable and care for their livestocks well-being, or are they primarily interested in sales?
5) Are livestock prices generally fair? Prices fIuctuate, plus value here is more subjective than drygoods.
6) Are employees friendly?
7) How is their fish selection? Coral selection?
8) How is their drygoods selection?
9) Are the tanks free of algae? And is the store itself relatively clean?
Thank you very much I have visited Southern Aquatics and will try to visit the other ones you mentioned.

My goto is Nemos duluth. Been going there for over 4 years now and have never had any problems. Prices and service are good. Everything i have gotten there has been healthy. Also Nemos is just 10 minutes from my house.:) With a couple exceptions ill stop by most of the other stores around Atlanta when i am in the area

On the eastside of town Nemos and Atlanta Aquarium we do venture to Premier from time to time but honestly I only get freshwater fish from them if someone local doesn’t have what I’m looking for.

Nemo, Atlanta aquarium , classic city

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Nemo, but all the ones activeangel stated are also solid. Southern aquatics is on my way to work so I buy food there. Prices are high but it's a very nice store, same for pure reef. Optimum used to be my go to when I was in Cobb 12 years ago. Small selection but decent place.

Conversely, I find Southern Aquatics to be fairly affordable for fish, and great prices for food and dry goods, but with limited coral selection until they get the new frag system running. Cant wait to see it up and running!

Conversely, I find Southern Aquatics to be fairly affordable for fish, and great prices for food and dry goods, but with limited coral selection until they get the new frag system running. Cant wait to see it up and running!
Thinking on it more, I suppose their prices aren't bad. I'm still sticker shocked even a year after re-entering the hobby. Always good people working there.

That is what I was thinking. I was looking to visit
the-fish-store-text-logo.jpg

The Fish Store - Atlanta

What are their prices like?

Back