What are the best fish for a small display tank?

Acandoit;989597 wrote: Clowns in general are great fish.

I would recommend you do a quick search on the forums as there are several that breed clowns locally. Better chances for a healthy happy fish.
I'm not finding a local breeder. Does anyone know who it was that had them?

The entire family loaded up and went to Atlanta aquarium and bought a pair!

Nice place and great staff! They were very talkative my to 6&3 year olds. Most won't even answer them where as the staff at Atlanta aquarium were very engaged!

MYREEFCLUB0070;989539 wrote: No, there is no guarantee that a clown will host in a nem, I have 2 clowns and 4 nems and my clowns don't even look at them.

WILLIE1983;989602 wrote: +1 I was expecting my clowns to host as well....failed

You guys should try this method if everything fails.!!!

My clowns (snowflake & picasso) use to never host my pink bubble tip anemone (1yr +) until I tried lights off (complete darkness in the room ect) and using LED fleshlight and point it to the PTBA. within a minute only clowns were interested at what was going on and there roamed around getting stung for some time. Now they find the Rose tip on thier own and they are constantly moving back and forward between them. Good luck

yellow watchmen/pistol shrimp combo, purple firefish and a cleaner shrimp. is what i started with and they are great to watch as well. My clowns host in the frogspawn and sleep on an open brain.

GaJeep94YJ;989704 wrote: The entire family loaded up and went to Atlanta aquarium and bought a pair!

Nice place and great staff! They were very talkative my to 6&3 year olds. Most won't even answer them where as the staff at Atlanta aquarium were very engaged!

My 4 year old now says "dad I'm thirsty" as soon as we get to AA because he knows Rit will give him a Caprisun. He really works the system. Great store.

My clowns made it through the night and seem happy.

I did lose a snail though. Is that common?

GaJeep94YJ;990117 wrote: My clowns made it through the night and seem happy.

I did lose a snail though. Is that common?

clean up crews including snails and starfishes, and crabs ect are much more sensitive to salinity than do the fishes in my experiences. I never had fishes with ICK problems / I dont quantine them when I introduce them to my tank but I lost many snails, crabs, and starfishes in the begining. As for fishes go, I obsorb them at the store for sometime, watch them eat and swim, color, fin, eye ect. and I drip accumulate them for 30mins to 1 hour at slow past.

As for the snails and crabs ect, I drip accumulate them for two hours at very very slow past. I think salinilty is most improtant to accumulate them to. Hope this helps. Oh, I also obsorb the snails and crabs for movements ect before buying too. Funny thing is I never ordered live things from internet. I buy some corals but no fishes or cuc. Hope this helps.

mgriffeth;990220 wrote: Thanks! I did see a decrease in cyno after a 2nd dose (with a duration of 3-4 days following first dose- chemiclean was what I used) but my corals seem less happy (hammer frag recessing, with a third of it dying off completely, zoanthids hardly ever fully opened anymore, frog spawn noticeably recessed, pipe organ only opening 5-7% of its polyps, and pulsing xenia (newest addition- in tank 5 days) shriveled and not pulsing. Inversely, my duncan, chalice, green stars, and kenyas seem OK but not thriving. I have a cynarina that hasn't shown any signs of decline as well. I'm using a feeding pipette to blow off the corals and a toothbrush to remove the bloom on my rock. I've also siphoned sand twice and performed 3 water changes since I noticed the bloom (it came on quick . . . like, within 24 hrs.). I'm also dosing iodine once a week and have gave the hammer an iodine dip after removing the dead portions. I can live with cyno if corals appear happy but right now, my tank has the blues, it seems . . .

Did you do the large water change after your first chemiclean treatment? If not, your corals probably aren't loving the die off of all the cyano.

Back