What are these?

burdundi wrote: Aiptasia. Get rid of it. You can use kalk paste and inject them with a syringe (Joe's Juice is the commercial version) or peppermint shrimp have worked for me. Some people don't have luck with peppermint shrimp, but they have always worked for me.

-Andy

If you are not running a reef tank, but are just running Marine fish and live rock, are they okay? I don't have any live corals etc.

If you want them, keep them. Hell, I have seen people selling them on the internet. Just know they will turn into the plague... And if you EVER want to sell rock or anything from your tank, good luck, I know most people would not touch it with aiptasia running amuck!

On the other side, if you are a PETA member or a vegiterian or tree hugger. Then by all means it is an animal and has the right to live.

aptasia bad!!! kill kill kill

If you don't tacke the aptasia quickly. it will take over.

kjessop wrote: aptasia bad!!! kill kill kill

If you don't tacke the aptasia quickly. it will take over.

I couldn't have said it better!:yuk: :bash: Kill em!

yeah they are easy to remove really..i got a bunch of rock from Sal (thanks again) and it had aptasia on it and i just scrubbed it of and rinsed the rock. I did miss a few but I am going to get those of tonight.

Ya, Sal had some rock come in with some Aiptasia on it but when/if you know about it and catch it fast enough it is easy to control. Once you let it take foot and "breed" in your tank, then best of luck to you.

So Ive read that many times that the aptasia once it takes of gets really hard to remove. I think i still have 5 on my rocks which i plan on scubbing off tonight. How can you know 100% that all of it is gone or atleast 90% sure. Thanks

Xyzpdq0121 wrote:

On the other side, if you are a PETA member or a vegiterian or tree hugger. Then by all means it is an animal and has the right to live.

What does this mean? I happen to be two of the three, and can taste a little bit of resentment from a comment like that.

Well, they are ok, but they will spread and they don't look that great either. If you can try and get rid of them when you have just a few. If you don't want a peppermint shrimp, try the kalk paste or Joe's Juice.

What fish are you keeping or planning to have? You could try a copperband butterfly if you are going fish only. Again, like most things, they may or may not eat the aiptasia.

Hope that helps,

Andy

I don't think this counts as a hijack since we are IDing stuff... what is this thing (green with the tenticles)?

http://www.cameroncole.com/mypics/2007-02_Aquarium_03rd/HPIM2743.JPG" alt="" />

The guy told me it was from Hawaii and don't touch it because it can give a nasty nip. I don't know if this was the thing that did it, but I got a nice wack from something in the tank when I was over in that neck of the woods. Course is could have been that black crab I have just as easily.

That is a Torch Coral. I havent herd of anyone being hurt by it? Yea definatly counts as a Hijack.

I thought it might be a galaxia. Must have been that crab that got me. I had a nice welt for about three days.

Galexia doesn't have such long tenticles. However they do have LONG feeder tenticles that will sting all corals around it but only a few are out at a time.

They do have 5-6 long clear tenticles that shoot out (about 4") and then retract later in the day. The tenticles are only about 3/4" long and they are very skinny. I thought torch corals have fatter tenticles.

Sorry, Bryan- that is galaxea. It has a very potent sting (at least to other corals-possibly people too).

Back