What corals are we missing in the club?

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Title says it all. I want to get a couple of super high end corals that we don't really have available in the club to grow out and distribute (for a small fee, obviously). What is the club, as a whole, missing? I've gotten most of my stuff from club members, but I'm seeing stuff on some sites that I've not seen in our tanks. Curious as to what you think.

Yes, and he's hosting a meeting in September.

Brandon is a good dude with a ton a really high end coral.

Same. Been trying to pick up some of the cheaper items for sale on here even if they aren’t the most impressive

Yeah it's been slow for me to build up to where I am now. And that's not much. But I love my "little tank that could"

I think high end anemones are always going to be in demand. They give you such wonderful movement and color they're always an eyecatcher... and every non-hobbyist loves them as well.

I think high end anemones are always going to be in demand. They give you such wonderful movement and color they're always an eyecatcher... and every non-hobbyist loves them as well.
I’ve been looking for an acid wash. Also recently saw some that were new to the hobby. White with colored stripes down the tentacles. Don’t know what they’re called.

I’ve been looking for an acid wash. Also recently saw some that were new to the hobby. White with colored stripes down the tentacles. Don’t know what they’re called.
If you can find a pic I'd like to see it :). Sounds nice.

Unique Corals had one of the newly found Rainbow Nems about a month or so ago for $400. That was pretty sweet!

Unfortunately, my Strawberry Shortcake Mushrooms died during the move down here. It was stunning; And I’ve never seen them anywhere else... just one of those obscure variations. I may call up my guy in Chicago to see if he has any more, but I got them back in 2015 so who knows. I suspect they were not your typical discosoma based on their texture. Colors were thick baby pink laid over a backdrop of baby blue.

But back on topic of cool corals that are easy to grow and propagate (no Trachys, etc)... i really have to go unique mushrooms or flower nems, or interesting structured Acros like thick-branched stags or anything Elkhorn-like that is legal or grandfathered. Kryptonite mushrooms are cool; but I don’t think they’re worth the price. I’m also itching to get a Tie Dye jawbreaker someday.

I've been talking with Grace Ramano about a getting a frag of blue ridge coral. It's the one she mentioned as being somewhat endangered in the wild at the meeting held at the Bucket Shop. I believe the species is officially listed as "Vulnerable" but the IUCN lists all corals as somewhat threatened to varying degrees. I've posted a few links below and my goal is just to have one. It's not the prettiest but it is unique among corals and I just think it would be cool to have one.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/08/species-blue-ridge-coral-heliopora/
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Blue-Coral

Yeah; I go back and look at this coral at least once per year! Excellent example of a unique structure.

If you could find a brilliant blue one that is legally acquired; that would be awesome! But even a brownish one could be cool. The phenotypic expression could change over time and exposure to aquariums.

I've been talking with Grace Ramano about a getting a frag of blue ridge coral. It's the one she mentioned as being somewhat endangered in the wild at the meeting held at the Bucket Shop. I believe the species is officially listed as "Vulnerable" but the IUCN lists all corals as somewhat threatened to varying degrees. I've posted a few links below and my goal is just to have one. It's not the prettiest but it is unique among corals and I just think it would be cool to have one.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/08/species-blue-ridge-coral-heliopora/
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Blue-Coral

Once I rebuild my kitchen, I would love to get some new corals. So frustrating that my disaster has forced me to stop purchasing coral for the time being as there is no room in my temporary holding system. Would love to get new frags when my new system is up and running and cycled. Gathering these corals for the club to be able to purchase and share frags is a wonderful idea. Thank you for thinking of it!

As for ultra rare corals, I do have some Cruz Arias Leng Sy. After about 75% die off during the 1000 mile move; the part that survived is healed and coloring up lately (if my goby will stop dropping sand on it, lol). Big colonies do not like being moved.

This fall, I’ll start taking/posting photos and have frags available for sale, and a discount for club members and further discount for supporting members.

Back