What could cause a hazy tank?

the only things that come to my mind i'm sure you have already checked.

once my skimmer overflowed and it dumped a bunch of nasty water back in the tank which made it cloudy for a day or so.

another time i filled up my auto top off and stirred up a bunch of solid kalk that was sitting on the bottom of the tub. the end result was very cloudy ato water, which in turn made my tank cloudy for about 8 hours until it settled back down.

i have also noticed that if you add any supplements i.e. reef calcium it will sometimes make your water cloudy the next day or so.

No gobies. No additives... no ammonia. nitrate and nitrite levels are both good. The water is clearer today but I don't think it's calcium either. Why? Well, I'm not adding any more or less than usual and as mentioned earlier, I don't dose anything besides kalk at a very slow drip rate. I also have a lot of SPS/hard corals in my tank utilizing it...

If it happens again, I'll see about testing some of the other stuff besides the normal stuff.

Vinegar is acetic acid. There are plenty of carbons in acetic acid for little bacteria to live on. It could easily be an bacteria bloom. Should go away in a few days if you stop adding the vinegar. Otherwise, carbon should help over time.

If you get a bunch of tiny nassarius snails, it could be spawning. It looks like cloudy water apparently when they spawn. I get it about once every month or two.

maybe you could check the water out under a microscope? i have one at home, if you want to bring by a sample to the store i can check it out for you once i get back and let you know online

Back