What do you'll think?ready for cuc?

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
a78a90fefe484152b28e6701c1d5a28d.jpg
alt="" />

Maybe in another few days?

Started on 2/15 had a huge spike about 5 days ago everything is evening out now. It's a 20g, did a 2 gal water change last night which dropped my nitrites a bit.

What spiked? Nitrites? What are you using for an ammonia source?

20bcd6c16d7c608b235746cd2d5676cc.jpg
alt="" />

1d2285b8e4cc7078eca52d877a94781d.jpg
alt="" />

Everything spiked,,, here are a few more pics through out. Ammonia went way up, followed by nitrites, then nitrates.

I used live sand, brine food, one piece of live rock (the rest was dry rock)

Looks like you are getting there, hard to really tell with the API tests at times. To be certain, "when fully cycled", you should be able to process a decent amount of ammonia (~3 ppm) in a 24 hour period. (i.e. 0 ammonia & 0 nitrite from 3 ppm ammonia over a 24 hour period.)

I have never used brine food for an ammonia source, but if you can add enough to bump ammonia levels up to ~3 ppm, and it process it in 24 hours or less, you are good to go!

Ok thanks Grant!! that makes sense, I'll give that a shot and see what happens. What's the most reliable test kit to get?

also, since I'm running such a small system and I won't have many fish, probably more softies, can I just run my skimmer at night, maybe 8 to 12 hours? It's kind of loud and creating a lot of micro bubbles.

By the way, I've been watching your posts on your build out. I can't even imagine how you're doing that!?! That's amazing!

The API kit will work through the cycling process, but once you think you are there I would confirm it by investing in good kits for monitoring Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, & Magnesium to start. Good kits would be those produced by Red Sea, Salifert, SeaChem, Elos, Etc... One of our sponsors can point you in the right direction in regards to purchasing the right stuff, don't rely on big box stores.

Grants a pretty amazing guy...whops I thought this was the praise Grant thread...

Seriously, follow his advise, good stuff. On the skimmer and micro bubbles, they should disappear after a while so I'd run it full time. For the noise I have seen some skimmers with a chamber filled with floss attached to the airline intake to act as a silencer.

dball711;1019211 wrote: Grants a pretty amazing guy...whops I thought this was the praise Grant thread...

Seriously, follow his advise, good stuff.

You're just saying that cause you want something from me...lol. Getting ready to reply to your PM.

In regards to the skimmer, most people run their skimmer 24-7, with the exception of a few that have appropriately sized skimmers that allow them to skim for say 8 or 12 hour periods after they broadcast feed. I would only suggest this if you have a quality skimmer that can actually do the job in that amount of time.

ghbrewer;1019210 wrote: The API kit will work through the cycling process, but once you think you are there I would confirm it by investing in good kits for monitoring Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, & Magnesium to start. Good kits would be those produced by Red Sea, Salifert, SeaChem, Elos, Etc... One of our sponsors can point you in the right direction in regards to purchasing the right stuff, don't rely on big box stores.

+1. API is fine for the cycle. Wouldn't put CUC in until nitrites read 0 though. Personally, post cycle I have never tested for ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate I do occasionally. PH, Phosphate, Calc, Alk, and Mag are all important especially if you start adding LPS and SPS. Alk being the most important IMO/E.

IME, which admittedly isn't nearly as long as some others, if you're alk is good your PH tends to be good too. You'll know you have either phosphate or nitrate, or both, if you have algae problems. API will be good enough for now to test your nitrates. It's more important that you can get consistently low numbers. Once you start adding fish and corals you'll want a better test kit. Red Sea makes a good alk, calc, and mag combo test kit that I've used. Fairly easy to read.

RedStang;1019219 wrote: "post cycle I have never tested for ammonia or nitrite."

While I agree that it really is not a factor for the DT, they are good to have around for QT and hospital tank setup and use. I did leave PH out of the test kit requirements, sorry. I run an Apex controller with a calibrated PH probe, so I just use it to monitor PH and haven't had a test kit for it in a while. The API will be fine for PH until it runs out, by then you will probably have decided whether or not you will continue to monitor PH. Some people chase it, some don't.

ghbrewer;1019194 wrote: What spiked? Nitrites? What are you using for an ammonia source?

dball711;1019211 wrote: Grants a pretty amazing guy...whops I thought this was the praise Grant thread...

Seriously, follow his advise, good stuff. On the skimmer and micro bubbles, they should disappear after a while so I'd run it full time. For the noise I have seen some skimmers with a chamber filled with floss attached to the airline intake to act as a silencer.

Dave, are you causing trouble again?! Well I had NO microbubbles until I put the epoxy in the hold my beautiful rocks. The skimmer freaked out and hasn't calmed down. I'm sure they will go away in time, but it makes the water super cloudy.

ghbrewer;1019228 wrote: While I agree that it really is not a factor for the DT, they are good to have around for QT and hospital tank setup and use. I did leave PH out of the test kit requirements, sorry. I run an Apex controller with a calibrated PH probe, so I just use it to monitor PH and haven't had a test kit for it in a while. The API will be fine for PH until it runs out, by then you will probably have decided whether or not you will continue to monitor PH. Some people chase it, some don't.

Yeah, run an Apex and almost forgot about it too. Good point for the QT/hospital tank. Admittedly I just buy the seachem stick on thingy for ammonia in those cases :eek: and Prime it.

RedStang;1019231 wrote: seachem stick on thingy for ammonia in those cases

You like those? I have been meaning to try one out. I just know that they can be nightmare to peel off a tank if they have been left on for too long. I had to go after one with a razor blade on a used tank that I got one time.

scramer74;1019230 wrote: Dave, are you causing trouble again?! Well I had NO microbubbles until I put the epoxy in the hold my beautiful rocks. The skimmer freaked out and hasn't calmed down. I'm sure they will go away in time, but it makes the water super cloudy.

Epoxy can have that effect on the skimmer. Yes time is your friend here.

ghbrewer;1019234 wrote: You like those? I have been meaning to try one out. I just know that they can be nightmare to peel off a tank if they have been left on for too long. I had to go after one with a razor blade on a used tank that I got one time.

Mine usually fall down to the sand anyway. I will say when I was cycling my 60 cube it "seemed" to track the amount of ammonia I was dosing very closely. Close enough in any case. And when it read 0, so did my Seachem test kit.

Thanks guys! Making my head spin a little but I think I'll get the hang of it.

dont worry you'll pick it up in no time. and if you ever have trouble trying to figure something out, thats what were here for.

Thank you Pico!! Yes,, there are definitely some great people on her ready to help a Gal out.

scramer74;1019269 wrote: Thanks guys! Making my head spin a little but I think I'll get the hang of it.

This is a good thing, you are fitting in nicely!

Back