What else can I add?

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Hello-

I am trying to stock my new 20gallon long. Currently I have a CLown triggerfish, yellow and naso tang, copperbanded butterfly, a small school (7) green chromis, a pair of clowns, and a marine betta. I also have a decent sized clean up crew of about 20 snails and 25 hermits. Also don't forget my cleaner shrimp (to help clean up all the ich that could come about). Right now I am running a HOB filter and no skimmer. I'm also running a 400 watt MH fixture, so I'll need some advice on some corals later, but trying to focus on fish right now. Oh yeah, also got a six line wrasse as well. I was wondering what, if anything shoudl I add next?? I really want to add some type of large angel or possibly pair of mated triggers. LMK and any advice would be appreciated!

cool-you coming to meeting?? Can I pick up then? I assume cash in person is ok??

Isn't that tank kinda FULL?
Unless you meant to say 200gal...

Robb

full?? no, it's 20 gallon that's TWENTY but keep in mind--I said TWENTY gallon LONG --that LONG makes them have the extra room they need to swim. I would never put these fish in a twenty gallon standard-it'd just be asking for trouble. but a LONG makes them have more swimming room for those long swims like the tangs like and they stay happy.. i thought I could at least add two or three more fish-? I may even throw a couple of mated pairs of RBTA in there too-

ericmcj31;286794 wrote: full?? no, it's 20 gallon that's TWENTY but keep in mind--I said TWENTY gallon LONG --that LONG makes them have the extra room they need to swim. I would never put these fish in a twenty gallon standard-it'd just be asking for trouble. but a LONG makes them have more swimming room for those long swims like the tangs like and they stay happy.. i thought I could at least add two or three more fish-? I may even throw a couple of mated pairs of RBTA in there too-
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2: ROTFLMAS LOL I think you should get rid of the hob filter and get an under gravel on those are supposed to ROCK!! and i think the tank could used a pair of crosshatch triggers! and a puffer

I misread that at first and thought it was way overcrowded. Until you pointed out that it was a *long*.

Since it's a loooooooooooooong 20g, I see no reason why you can't go ahead and add a shark. Just one though -- don't go overboard.

I think mated pairs of RBTA's are kind of rare. You might have problems finding those?

Mockery;286801 wrote: :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2: ROTFLMAS LOL I think you should get rid of the hob filter and get an under gravel on those are supposed to ROCK!! and i think the tank could used a pair of crosshatch triggers! and a puffer

Now that's what I wanted to hear! First thing tomorrow morning I'm off to buy a set of crosshatches and a porcupine puffer! Should I spring for a powder blue tang as well?? or is it too docile?? I just don't want this tank to...well...tank! I don't want an ich bucket either-I may grab a cleaner wrasse as well---:doh: oh wait, did I say CLEANER WRASSE!???!:eek: Hope the cleaner wrasse police are still at the donut hut so that may go under their radar-lol

Linda Lee;286803 wrote:
I think mated pairs of RBTA's are kind of rare. You might have problems finding those?

nah-I saw them the other day at the LFS I won't say their name-but think of a frothy coffee-like drink and roswell road-(I'm not gonna say any names, though)--I think they may even be a sponsor; great store-I was just there last Monday:D

Get a dragon wrasse. You don't want to have to mess with aquascaping. A dragon will do that for ya. You ARE putting at least a 4" sandbed in that thing, right?

oh yes, and I'm gonna go light on the LR-prob. just about 50 pounds or so

And when you have everythng in it just the way you like, add the final touch: a sea apple. I've heard they're 100% maintenance free.

Lee says sand means poo....and you will have some poo in that long tank....with that bio load. I would get a sea apple, some sea lettuce and a mantis to go with it...

Linda beat me to the sea apple...they would add a lot of color to the tank...

you guys are missing it-that's what the clean up crew is for--should I add the sea apple to the clean up crew list?? Is he reef safe?? I will be adding some SPS in this tank- I hope he wont bully my clown trigger as well-?

jhutto;286827 wrote: Linda beat me to the sea apple...they would add a lot of color to the tank...

Yeah, but you beat me to the mantis (speaking of color). Definitely get a mantis. Such docile pets ... always fun to hand-feed them.

Ace of Spades;286825 wrote: Sounds good, I'd probably wrap the rock in bacon and throw some brown sugar in the water to "cure'' that rock before you add it. You don't want to cause a cycle.

one ahead of ya there, ace; ya know I'm doing it up right people talk about 'cooking' up their LR, well- I 'cooked' this stuff up w/ the bacon right on it--wouldn't want my fish catch salmonella from eating raw bacon

ericmcj31;286832 wrote: -wouldn't want my fish catch salmonella from eating raw bacon

Nah ... salmonella happens when you feed your fish peanuts. And don't listen to those websites that claim "porcupine puffers love peanut butter"</em>. I can tell you're way too seasoned a reefer to fall for that one.

Back