what is the best powerhead out there?

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
i will be looking for one or so in a few weeks. and would like to know if maxi-jet and Hydor Koralia are good ones and what size will i need for a 55 i just dont want to cus a sand storm.. lol

vortech is the best but also MUCH more expensive

I use 2 korelia 3's in my 54 without any problems

Korelia,I think the most "bang for the buck" It also depends on how much flow you want,you could use a korelia 3 or 4 for alot of flow or you could put 4 of the korelia nano's in there to create differant movement throughout the tank in differant spots ,just my 2 cents.
BTW,I have two Maxi-jet 1200's with the 2100 mods in our 240 gal,and they still stir things up sometimes.

I have a Koralia nano in my 20 and it is great. Excellent bang for $.

Ace of Spades;256284 wrote: What's your price range?

Vortech
Tunze
Koralia
MaxiJet

I've got 2 Koralia 3's in my 55.

vortech is way out of it lol i cant see spending more on a power head then i have on the rest of the stuff. i mean my tank stand lights and filters all together. lol ill look in to the tunze to see how much they are

ok well not sure how much flow i want/need i want to keep mushrooms and zoas and softies and lps maybe. so what would you guys say would be good

Koralia's are great bang for the buck. Maxi jets work great too, but I like the uneven distribution of flow from the Koralia's.

I have had tunze, vortech, koralia, maxijet. If you have the money, get tunze. If you don't, stick with maxijet or koralia.

I just bought some cheap chinese knock off Koralias called "Sunsun" off of ebay...they push 1200 gph each and have magnets...I think it was around $45 shipped. Not that i expect them to last 10 years or anything, but they do the job right now.

tims a keen reef sells the mod for the maxi jet. im sure you can buy a couple of 400s for nothing 2 of those with the mod would be plenty for a 55.

Sorry, should have made myself more clear...I got 2 chinese "Sunsuns" 1200gph pumps with magnetic attachments for $45 shipped from ebay.

I quick search on ebay rendured this... http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNSUN-JVP-102B-JVP-12W-WAVE-MAKER-MAGNET-BASE-PUMP_W0QQitemZ160303459366QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46312QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262">http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNSUN-JVP-102B-JVP-12W-WAVE-MAKER-MAGNET-BASE-PUMP_W0QQitemZ160303459366QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46312QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262</a>

They have some other different looking stuff.

Back