What is the best syphon for a water change

When it comes to siphons, the suction that you get is going to be dependent on the diameter of the hose and the height (between the top of the tanks water level and the bottom opening of the hose).

Knowing that; all siphons are essentially equal in terms of suction (assuming hose sizes are equal). However, the real value difference between brands is not the suction, but the special features’; this can mean using flow from a tap to start the siphon, siphon priming, flexible/rigid hose, clear vs opaque, having a long rigid tube vs a short one, etc...

Hope this helps with your decision! Good question; knowledge is power.

the length of the hose impacts how much water you can move in XX period of time as well due to friction.

Find the shortest, largest diameter food safe hose with no metal that you can get your hands on.

Hey just did a water change and the suction was weak so might buy new one. Just looking for suggestions

Yup, I love the Python! Of course mine is draining outside so prob a good 8-10' drop which adds to the suction (so if you hook to sink in your house, might not be as sucky.... see what I did there!?!) :O)

What are you using now that isn't working? I use a 5/8" ID tube and find that it works fine for what I'm trying to do. Is it possible that what you're using has some sort of block? I now some siphon systems have back flow check flappers and I've had things get stuck in those without really knowing it.

I just use it like a cup till the water flows out the end then submerge it so the bubbles escape, then turn it upright and start cleaning. Vac hoses are all about gravity. I keep an eye on the hose and pinch it is something gets in it I do not want. I admit, I havr lost a few small items out the window. I have a modified python with a pvc extension and a few short one inch pvc with 90s and clear tube for use in qt's as well.

Back