What is this - blows puffs of smoke

hhv00586

Market
Reaction score
noticed a small puff of smoke in my tank this morning
Almost looks like when you add a drop of Alk into water, that cloud that appears and then fizzles out

Well I found this guy, very tiny, no more than couple of mm in size stuck to rock near the back bottom of my tank.

It seems to breath and every so often puffs out a cloud

What could it be?

1070783=66226-IMG_20160204_090513-2 (1).jpg
>
1070783=66226-IMG_20160204_090513-2 (1).jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20160204_090513-2 (1).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Just did a short video of it on my phone. It was not puffing at the time but you can see it breathes and moves. It has now receded into some rock so I cant see it any more

view

I don't know exactly what it is. The siphon tube made me think of some sort of filter feeder. If had to guess, I think the the smoke could be rock dust from a boring ( not Rich boring, but digging boring) critter. Either that or he's really happy and wanted to share is happiness in the tank.

Maybe a rock boring clam?

My old eyes can't see what it is either. Does it stay in the same place all the time?

Usually 'puffs of smoke' in an aquarium equals gametes.

Jenn

I was trying to think of a good euphemism and shot a blank.... sorry

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

It's not a blank - it likely just needs another partner.

It takes two to tango ;)

If there's another 'smoker' someplace else in the tank you might get more of whatever that is.

Jenn

so consensus seems to be whatever it is, its happy

I had not seen it before, as I said its very small and it vanished after I filmed it and I cant find it again
Had the tank running for a while now and this was first I saw of it

it's like a rorshack test lol. honestly to me it looks like a tiny octopus, i can see an eye on each side and tentacles at the top. hehe, i'm sure it's not, but funny how things look sometimes.

Back