What is this on my foxface?

hooked on salt

Market
Reaction score
I got home from work to discover my foxface with specs of something on it. My blue eyed tang and a couple of my PJ cardnals also have them. What is it?

Don't panic. Make sure everyone is eating well, don't do anything in or around the tank to stress them out. Maybe soak their food in garlic guard and give them some special treats to keep everyone eating.

fish1344;328207 wrote: Don't panic. Make sure everyone is eating well, don't do anything in or around the tank to stress them out. Maybe soak their food in garlic guard and give them some special treats to keep everyone eating.

Sorry, that was me. Didn't log my husband out first.

Ok. They eat like pigs now. I wonder what caused the outbreak. They seamed fine for the past month. The only thing different is I added more lighting this past weekend. There's no way I could get the tang or cardnals out of there without destroying the tank.

I have a couple of tangs and sometimes I see a little ich pop up. I just keep feeding them and don't mess around in the tank and it goes away. Just keep an eye on everyone and make sure none of them look unhealthy. You can even cut back your light cycle just a bit. I personally think getting them out stresses them more and makes it worse. There are some maladies that would require that, but I don't feel like ich does. The change in lighting could have caused a little stress, who knows. Maybe they just don't like your new haircut. (j/k, I have no idea what your hair looks like). Just let us know if it gets worse. Good pic, btw.

No matter what Seedless Reefer says, do NOT put head and shoulders in the tank.

JessPete;328265 wrote: No matter what Seedless Reefer says, do NOT put head and shoulders in the tank.

On my other tank I had head, shoulders and half my body in the tank when I slipped while rearranging LR...:D

From my experience and what ive learned on here is that ick is in almost every tank if not every tank in a free floating form and it just needs a weakened immune system fish for its host. Am i correct on this? As long as you keep them fed and happy the should be able to fight it of naturally.

I justed added a powder blue to my tank. Now I have about 20 fish with ich. I just do the same thing as last time,turn the uv flow way slow,ozone wide open, feed feed feed, water change water change water change only because of the feeding. Happens everytime I introduce a new fish and with 20 in the system it has happened alot

There has been a number of debates over whether you can keep it out of a tank or not. Like letting a tank set dormant ( free from a host) for 4-6 weeks and the ich will run thru a life cycle and them perish without a host. I believe that to be the case but alot of people have tried it and failed so then they say it doesn't work. Most of them forget about the rock or rubble that the coral was attached to and they introduced into the system without quarantine could have the ich attached. Then comes that infamous blanket statement <u>Ich is always in any tank. </u></em>I'm not going to say they are wrong but we all should consider the possibilty that they could be.

That's comforting to know. I'm in the process of adding a 100 gallon sump to the system so that'll add a few gallons of fresh water. I have an ozone generator but haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I've never had Ich in my system.. its easy, don't keep tangs ;-)

on a serious note, good luck with the fish acne

oh, and cool looking foxface

Probably a temp change from the added lighting stressed them. Didn't fight it off as easily. Or maybe just color change. Who know what can trigger it. Keep them fed and healthy. Alot of smaller feedings rather than one large one will help you.

Back