What is this on my rocks?

zoajohn

Supporting
Reaction score
IMG_0597.jpg

Look to the right of the wrasse in attached pic. It’s this clear ish film stuff. It’s covering a lot of my rocks and my tank seems to be pissed off. Is it bacterial? Some form of cyano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the age your tank looks, bacteria is likely what you see, it matches the description.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I would 2nd the thought that it's bacterial mulm. The description in perfect. I've never noticed it having negative effects on the tank and I usually get it in my sump when I dose carbon.

I would 2nd the thought that it's bacterial mulm. The description in perfect. I've never noticed it having negative effects on the tank and I usually get it in my sump when I dose carbon.

Tank has been running since this February. I wonder what caused it. A lot of my corals are pretty upset, I think this stuff is irritating them. I’ve been trying to blast it off before water changes with a baster, but it’s on the rocks pretty good. I’ve reduced feedings, is there anything else I can do to get it to go away?

Are you carbon dosing, in any form?
Like NoPOx, aka-NO3:pO4-X, sugar, vodka, etc.?
That can do it.

Are you carbon dosing, in any form?
Like NoPOx, aka-NO3:pO4-X, sugar, vodka, etc.?
That can do it.

Nope. The only thing I’m dosing is kalkwasser on this tank

It's all part of a tank maturing in my opinion, yiu are disturbing the process by blasting it off. Bacteria will run out of its food source if you let it run its course. It needs to live on/in the rock, it will benefit you in the long run to let it be. Also i woukd check other parameters and source water.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FWIW-
Adding calcium hydroxide (aka- kalkwasser) causes carbon dioxide (from the air) to be captured and converted to bicarbonate.
This mechanism acts to provide additional carbon to seawater, which some bacteria can utilize in their metabolisms (called chemolithotrophy, see below).
Sometimes this works to benefit corals, by way of the bacteria that may be hosted in their tissues/mucous layer.
Dana Riddle mentioned this during his talk at the recent ARC Coral Expo. I discussed it with him some afterward as well.
Although CO2 is an inorganic form of carbon in this mechanism, it still works to provide energy. Just as do organic forms of carbon in other mechanisms.
As our tanks mature, other organisms may develop/colonize to take advantage of, or share this new energy source provided by the bacteria.

Last edited:
Blow it off with a power head or turkey baster and continue to march
Imo this isn’t anything that you want to try and correct by doing drastic water parameter swings or dosing

Back