What is too many fish in a reef tank.

coblerx4

Market
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 90gal reef tank and a 20gal sump with a refugium. At this time I have 6 fish a Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Clown, and three Damsels. I would like to add a Valentini Puffer, Heniochus Butterfly, another Clown, Engineer Goby, and a Diamond Goby. Would this be too many fish? Thanks

Another question will the Butterfly be ok in a reef tank. I have seen it listed as reef safe and also not reef safe (may eat polyps)? Thanks Rick

Your first set are OK, but pushing the limits at full grown size. Blue tangs get rather large at around 12".

The Butterfly is not reef compatible and gets rather large as well.

The puffer is pretty much a no-go out of the gate. He will eat/attack pretty much every fish in your tank. I would hazard the tangs will die from harrassment and the damsels will be lunch. Any snails, clams or shrimps will be made short work of as well.

Another clown could end up killing the other clown. Clowns are highly aggressive species towards their own and rarely tolerate each other except in very large tanks or in groups where dominance is hard to assert.

I would go with one or the other in the goby department. Diamonds don't like other gobies generally speaking.

Cameron my tangs are only about 3 inches right now and I would sell/trade when they got large. My tank is built in the wall and you can see both sides from different rooms. Because I only have 6 fish you can be in one room and only see 1 or 2 fish at a time. That is why I wanted to add more fish. Is there any small colorful fish you would suggest that would work. If this was your tank what would you add if anything. Thanks Rick

I would go with a pair of Diamond gobies. Go make your LFS order a few in and throw them in the same tank. I'm sure it's possible for some initial ighting to occur, but I've never had them not easily pair up. They'll share a borrow, perform sentry duty for each other, and sift together. You can't beat the enjoyment of a pair of diamond gobies working together.

Agreed on the gobies. Other fish I highly recommend for their beauty and ability to "fit in" are:

Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel (not both... well not without some risk)

Wrasses that are reef safe. I have a six line myself and they are always on the move. Fairy wrasses are some of the prettiest fish IMO.

Royal Gramma. They can hide from time to time, but very pretty fish.

Flame Hawkfish. Loads of attitude... gotta watch the small shrimp though

Chromis in numbers as they tend to school when you get enough of them

Some people also like Anthias, Foxface and Dottybacks. Each of these have their pluses and minuses.

I have the Coral Beauty Angel that pretty much eat algea all day long. He doesn't bother anyone and keeps to himself. Occasionally let my cleaner shrimp clean him.

It's best, I think, to get an odd number of chromis...3 or 5 might be a good number.

Back