What is your Moonlight?

kirkwood

Market
Reaction score
So I mod'd my LEDs this week to achieve a more accurate day light spectrum. The only fixture I didn't modify was my moonlight unit - a 48" eShine Aquawasher that is 20x3w. It is 2 channel with 10x3w Royal Blue (450nm) with 120 degree optics, and 10x3w 10K cool white with 120 degree optics. I run just the Royal Blues for my moonlight - however they shut off at 11.30pm because the light is too strong and prevents polyp extension.

What is your moonlight setup??

I started thinking about the spectrum of true moonlight and found this very interesting article. I thought it was interesting to see how much of moonlight is made up of red light. I guess we don't use reds in our moonlight setups because the red moonlight doesn't really penetrate into the reef??

Also the incredibly low PARs of moonlight on the reefs seems to me to be virtually unachievable.

a>

SnowManSnow;915039 wrote: not running moons :/

My light cycle is 8 hours actinic and 6 hours whites - starts at 3pm ends at 11pm... I run my "moons" from 9am - 11.30pm. The reason? Because I hate walking by my tank and not being able to see anything.. I'd really like to have a dedicated red channel so that I could pop the reds on at any time during the night to see nocturnal activity w/o bothering polyps and other late night activity. It would also help me spot any unwanted hitchhikers should they pop up. On a 120 would probably only need like 10 watts or so.

Kirkwood;915053 wrote: I'd really like to have a dedicated red channel so that I could pop the reds on at any time during the night to see nocturnal activity w/o bothering polyps and other late night activity. It would also help me spot any unwanted hitchhikers should they pop up. On a 120 would probably only need like 10 watts or so.

That is a really interesting idea. I might try it with the auto LEDs that I mentioned earlier. There is a red option.

Mine are 2x 3w blue 450nm bridgelux led's no lenses.
I run mine from 8:30am-11pm my grow lighting comes on at 11am-7pm I leave the blues on all day .
I decide another led module is on my Christmas list so ill be forced to remove the current moon lighting to fit the other module in my hood so iv been looking at small strip lighting or possibly a pair of the current usa true lumen moon led modules or something similar .

I also run mine because I hate not being able to see the corals.

I just got mine from stevesleds.com. I like the fact that I can control them by remote, change intensity and color, and they are very inexpensive. I am building a canopy for my tank right now and will retrofit them into the new canopy.

I run my blue and royal blue LEDs on my AI Sol units at 4% for moonlights.

Back