What is your quarantine process?

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Question for everyone using a QT setup, what is your process for quarantining fish?

I've considered doing just a simple copper and prazipro treatment, but recently have considered the use of Chloroquine Phosphate.
Has anyone tried this method?

Thanks

I try to avoid medications until needed, but I do run hyposalinity on QT tanks(for fish, you should QT all new arrivals). It's easier on the fish, IME, and kills a lot of ills.

Shrimpy Brains;1070020 wrote: I try to avoid medications until needed, but I do run hyposalinity on QT tanks(for fish, you should QT all new arrivals). It's easier on the fish, IME, and kills a lot of ills.

What do you run your salinity at? How long do you keep them in qt?

Generally, 1.013. (recommendation of a seahorse breeder when you get his seahorses) Then, if I feels the need or see signs of parasites, I lower to 1.008. If I trust the source, I qt about 4 weeks.
Other wise, 6 to 8 weeks.
If I see parasites, 8 weeks(1.008) after I no longer see them.
Of course, add about 2 to 3 weeks to raise salinity to 1.026 before moving to DT. I do this by topping of with 1.026 and using DT water for weekly water changes.

Overkill? maybe, but it also keeps me from spontaneous buying. lol

Amy gets an A+ in my book and quarantines more cautiously then I.

I don't medicate either unless there are signs of requirement, keep the metroplex/Metronidazole on hand, raise salinity with daily top off from my DT and if everything looks good in two weeks it will go in the DT.

I keep my display tank always running with a damsel and any other critter that may need special care.

I QT all new arrivals in my 10G QT for 2-4 weeks in Cupramine regardless of its initial appearance. All livestock that enters my DT is parasite free and it has worked like a charm. It only took 2 previous ich outbreaks (one being a complete wipeout) for me to learn the hard way. During the QT process they are being medicated and adjusted to the food I feed. I observe the fish daily closely and depending on the type of fish and how well they are doing will determine when they come out between the 2-4 week marker.

Genesis;1070057 wrote: I QT all new arrivals in my 10G QT for 2-4 weeks in Cupramine regardless of its initial appearance. All livestock that enters my DT is parasite free and it has worked like a charm. It only took 2 previous ich outbreaks (one being a complete wipeout) for me to learn the hard way. During the QT process they are being medicated and adjusted to the food I feed. I observe the fish daily closely and depending on the type of fish and how well they are doing will determine when they come out between the 2-4 week marker.

Do you use cupramine on all spieces?

For the most part yes. Only ones I don't are specific fish that are said to not tolerable to copper but I've also pushed the edge with that as well. I have a flame angel and I was told they couldn't tolerate copper but I slowly introduced the Cupramine and kept the levels a little lower than the normal range and had no issues. I also have para guard as an alternative which is a formalin based medication. I've heard great things about prazi-pro as well.

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/cIzi9SbQ2Gs<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Back