What killed my fish???

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I have had my Blue Spotted Jawfish for about a total of 4 days. Yesterday I noticed a whitish line on his side, but thought it might just have been a rub (that’s what it looked like). Well today when I fed I noticed he had no interest, then upon closer examination he looked really bad. The white spot had grown up his spine and he didn't seem to move very stiffly and seem lethargic at best. To get him out of the tank I had to break everything down though. I got him out and ran to Wal-Mart to get a Hospital tank, but by the time I got home he was dead as a board. This was the last fish I added to my tank.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;"> All the other fish seem fine, but should I be worried about them?</span>

IMG_2090.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_2092.jpg
alt="" />

He has an open wound on his right side that looks to have gotten infected. Once infected they go pretty fast... That whole white area is swelling which is a clear sign of bacterial infection. I can only guess as to how he got that wound but it doesn't look to have been caused by any unknown predators.

Since he was just added someone may have given a lil nip to show him their boss. Or it could just be a sharp rock... Also since he's new undoubtedly he was under duress and his immune system was clearly not yet up to the task.

My condolences.

Google blue spotted jawfish disease. This is a PERFECT example that these fish, more often than not, won't survive in captivity. Sucks cause they are one of my favorite fish.

Back