What kind o substrate do you have?

Fiji Pink. It's a little too fine but I chose it for my wrasse who sleeps in it. It does get blown around depending on where my powerheads are aimed.

HiImSean;974947 wrote: Fiji Pink. It's a little too fine but I chose it for my wrasse who sleeps in it. It does get blown around depending on where my powerheads are aimed.

+1. I got it for wrasses, and i really just like the look of fine sand better than chunky bits.

Agralive Special Grade Reef Sand. I had Fiji pink, but it blew all over the place. I only use reef sand now. Although it is really fine, and has a bad reputation, I will eventually give the lunar black sand a try. It is just too pretty...

ghbrewer;974976 wrote: Agralive Special Grade Reef Sand. I had Fiji pink, but it blew all over the place. I only use reef sand now. Although it is really fine, and has a bad reputation, I will eventually give the lunar black sand a try. It is just too pretty...

Just a heads up, before you put it in your tank, take a magnet and see if it pulls anything from the substrate. Some of these black substrates have iron in them, and while it is probably not bad for the reef, muchos scratchos can happen if your magnetic algae cleaner gets ahold of some.

I am using <span style="font-family: Calibri">Hawaiian black sand and i love it. no issues with being blown around...and My wrasses seem to have 0 issues with it.</span>

Yeah my neighbor use to be stationed in Hawaii when he was in the Army. He had a bottle/flask full of the black sand from the island. He didn't believe me when I said it was probably full of metals. We took a magnet too it, sure enough it pulled all sorts of metals. Not saying this is the condition of the sands that are easily purchased, but nonetheless a great example of why to test prior to placement in the tank. I look forward to using something like this in the future.

i have had it in my main dissplay for 2 years+ with no ill effects...yet....knock on wood

Running bahamas oolite...looks pretty similar to the fiji pink from what I could tell in pictures

Back