What kind of coral is this?

hfleming

Market
Reaction score
The pink/tan colony in the middle of the picture. It's a hard coral with fuzzy polyps. Very similar to a hydnophora. Someone told the me name one time and I looked it up and it was spot on, but now I can't remember the name.

The discussion was something like hydnophora has the polyps in a line where these are randomly spaced or the other way around.

This grows insanely fast and never really changes color. If anyone wants any let me know. It will be something like by one get 12 free.

IMG_5252_zpsxtg77g0q.jpg
alt="" />

i think you should cut me a piece of that off for further observation

Looks to me like Paraclavarina triangularis. That is often mistaken for 'pink' Hydnophora (which doesn't exist.) If the corallites are sort of trianglular (instead of cylindrical) that's what it is.

I used to have some a long time ago, and it grew fast. It's not very common but I got mine from an early ARC member and it grew like a weed and many frags were sold and traded.

BTW - your yellow tang has some serious Head and Lateral Line Erosion :(

Jenn

Jenn...you are right about the Tang. It is a very old survivor. About 4 years ago it became very sick, and would hardly even swim, I though it was gone for sure. I found it would eat brine shrimp if you squirted a bunch right in front of it. After a few weeks it fully recovered but as you can see it lost a lot of its fins.

4 years later it's still going strong, great personality and fat. Probably my favorite fish because it's a little odd.

Jenn...good call on the coral, I think thats it exactly: Paraclavarina triangularis. I need to remember the name this time.

Now if I can just get someone to take these frags from me.

That's hard stuff to come by. Hang on to some of it because once Dana Riddle gets himself moved into Paulding County I KNOW he will want some.

If I had a tank going, I'd definitely want some.

I'm a sucker for a scarred tang. Over the years I took in and rehabilitated lots of them. Yours has good colour for sure, so he's not acute anymore.

Jenn

Back